Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loobylu28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Video calls causing issues for other devices

Go to solution

Due to the current crisis, two of us are working fulltime at home, both on laptops connected to our wifi (basic broadband, via home hub 5).  When one of us (mainly me) has a video call the other person's device completely freezes.  Not ideal when we are both super busy and not always able to say no to video calls.  Also, it's mentioned by the other people on my calls that my video is freezing up, and there's a delay in the sound.  Will buying a different modem to replace the HH5 help?  Any ideas will be welcome....

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Video calls causing issues for other devices

Go to solution

It sounds like your connection speed is not fast enough to support video calls

can you post stats from hh5. Troubleshooting then helpdesk 

enter phone number and post results remember delete number 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Check phone line  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

@Loobylu28 

If you are on basic broadband, you will struggle to use any other device while on a video call as it would use most of your upload bandwidth.

What speed do you get on this test?

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Loobylu28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Here you go - no idea what this means! The line is quiet on the test call although only have a cordless handset.

Loobylu28_0-1588348716758.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I am surprised you manage video calls on that connection speed.

Because your video call will saturate the upload path, it will prevent other devices from downloading, as downloading requires some upload bandwidth to acknowledge received data packets.

Changing the router is not going to help with this, you need a faster connection, which is not available to you at the moment.

0 Ratings
Loobylu28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Speedtest results below.  The annoying thing is everyone else at my workplace who are working at home are fine, they don't all have fibre.  Hardly any of them are with BT....

Loobylu28_0-1588349594522.png

0 Ratings
Loobylu28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for confirming. Virgin Fibre is available so looks like we'll be moving over to that ASAP
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Those speed figures are about what I would expect, there is not much you can do.

There are cheap third party routers which have bandwidth control, but if you did restrict the upload bandwidth on video, the quality would deteriorate.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Unfortunately you must be a long way from the exchange. I would not even consider trying to run a video call with those speeds. If you have 4G available you might be better off tethering your mobile for the video calls, alternatively turn off the video and just have the audio if that is an option for you.

0 Ratings
Loobylu28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks - I have 4G so that's an idea, I'll try that next time.
0 Ratings