cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

What should I regard as an acceptable noise margin

Hello, can anyone tell me if the following noise margin readings are ok or not?  On adsl copper wire, 3km from exchange 

Upstream  16dB

Downstream  8dB

(Attention Downstream 8dB, Upstream 16dB)

Loads of problems with dropped connections 

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: What should I regard as an acceptable noise margin

if you had an attenuation of 8 down you would be right on top of the exchange with adsl

post router stats and results from dslchecker using phone number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

@imjolly 

Apologies, attenuation should have read 22dB, not 8!

Hope the following is what you want- many thanks for your help:

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 6--4 to 8AvailableAvailable--
Up to 6Up to 14 to 8AvailableAvailable--
Up to 5--3.5 to 7.5AvailableAvailable--
--------Available--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2021-03-15
Other Offerings Availability DateADSL Multicast
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
08-04-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

Router stats:

Internet Connection (IPv4)  
Connection Type:PPPoA
Login Status:Connected  
Internet Address:109.151.105.78
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.255
Default Gateway:172.16.14.187
DNS1:81.139.57.100
DNS2:81.139.56.100
DNS3: 
MTU:

Auto

ADSL Connection  
  Downstream Upstream
Data Rate7906.25 kbps437.50 kbps
Output Power19 dBm12 dBm
Noise Margin7 dB16 dB
Attenuation22 dB19 dB
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

you are currently on adslmax but could upgrade to adsl2+ 

your down noise margin is slightly higher that normal 6 as you could get a faster speed but are restricted by the 8mb max of adslmax

with an attenuation of 22db  you are about 1.6km from the exchange and if you upgraded to adsl2+ should get faster connection both down and up

the mods could try and help if you decide you want to upgrade

you can enter your attenuation to get estimate of speed

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thank you very much.
That's a bit odd, as we're actually 2.7km from the exchange.
I can't seem to enter any info into the speed calculator, I don't know why - maybe I can try on a different device.
I assume we'd have to pay more if we were to upgrade to adsl2+...... probably not a road we can realistically go down
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@Biscuit2 wrote:

I assume we'd have to pay more if we were to upgrade to adsl2+...... probably not a road we can realistically go down

No, it will be the same price as ADSL max.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Oh ok, thanks. Is it something I can just ask BT to do for me then? Excuse ignorance!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

As @imjolly  said in message 4, the mods can assist if you want to upgrade.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

If something you want to do then mods usually are able to help. Are you wanting to upgrade to adsl2

Message 10 of 12

Hi @Biscuit2,

If you are want to upgrade your service to ADSL2, this is something I'll be able to help you with. It will more than likely mean that you would need to renew your contract.

If you would like me to do this for you, please can you reply to my PM with your details?

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy