cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tombazoon
Message 1 of 8

What will 2mb give me?

The speed I'll get from BT/ any provider where I live is 2mb. I'm thinking of moving to BT purely for BT sport which I'd want to receive via the app.
Would 2mb be enough to let me stream live sport while using a chromecast to watch it on the TV, or would it be a frustrating buffering nightmare?
Thanks for any help guys.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: What will 2mb give me?

If your estimate is a 2mb connection speed then your download speed would be lower than that and if you then used a wireless connection then your download speed would be even lower still making stable streaming questionable

do you get anything if you enter your phone number. Remember to delete number when posting. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tombazoon
Message 3 of 8

No I don't get anything back. When I entered my number on the BT site it said 2mb, as does sky, okusnet, talktalk. Virgin's not available due to BT not letting anyone into the wires. Estate apparently built after the cables put in and the exchange is a fair way away.
From the sounds of it then I won't be watching live sport in my house this season
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

It's not BT that is stopping Virgin installing cable it is Virgin themselves who don't appear to be installing any new cabling

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

who is your present broadband provider virgin uses there own network not Openreach's and their network is solely a cable network
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 8

We have a broadband connection between 0.8Mbps and 1.4Mbps and we Chromecast Netflix to the TV.  The Chromecast must have a very good compression rate as playing Netflix or iPlayer on the TV over our slow Broadband connection it still has a good quality stream.

Though, when someone else is streaming BBC iPlayer per say on another device then the quality does drop. Pings also tend to be jump when multiple users are on the Internet.

We have QOS enables both on downstream and upstream to control the bandwidth and prioritise network traffic, this has helped control the latency and bandwidth with muliple devices using the Internet at once.

Though if a device is connected to the router and on, then it shouldn't cause any issues if it's not currently using the Internet.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Tombazoon
Message 7 of 8

I'm not sure if I want to risk entering into the 12m contract for something I can't use. At the moment it's talktalk and I manage to stream onto my chromecast but like u say, if my little ones put YouTube on everything grinds to a halt.
It's frustrating that I'll be paying the same price as a person getting 17 or even 36mb for my measly 2.
At the moment I manage to game without any serious lag, and another worry is that if I swap I run the risk of having a worse connection. Will BT be as good as of not better than talktalk?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

TT have their own exchange equipment but the cables from the exchnage to youe home will be the same so connection should be similar but only sure way is to move to BT.  with a conenction of only 2mb I would doubt a move will be worth it

0 Ratings