cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitescar911
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Whats going on with my internet speed?

So after checking when my area might get fibre I decided to check what my speeds are now. So we have the 17mb package I believe although BT says we should be getting about 19mb. So went on to speedtest.net, and I got this

Now we have been using this packages for years I know I have had way higher then this, hell last time I checked this speedtest website I was getting 19Mbps+ and I have downloaded games from steam at like 2-2.2MB/s which right now is at about 580KB/s. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Whats going on with my internet speed?

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
whitescar911
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:02:42
Downstream:5.461 Mbps
Upstream:659.7 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.1 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):24.6 dB / 29.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 39

The router is connected to the upstairs socket, I am guessing this NTES master socket in the one downstairs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

with your attenuation I would expect a connection speed of about 18mb on a good line with no noise.  at present your speed is low because your noise margin at 12.1db is high as normal is about 6db.  if your noise margin was back to normal then your speed would improve

what about using test socket?  your connection time is only 2min was that a manual reset?  have you had problems with conenction dropping or have you been manually resetting hub hoping to improve speed or a combination of both?  you need a stable conenction with no resets for conenction to improve

what about quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
whitescar911
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Some days my connection will drop the time and I have noticed it will drop with an incoming phone call which it never used to. Today it has been droping a lot. I am not sure what a test socket or a quiet line test is.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

my first post explained and sshowed where to find test socket

0 Ratings
whitescar911
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

So my just connection droped again, this is my speed now

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:08:44
Downstream:16.56 Mbps
Upstream:1.074 Mbps

ADSL Settings
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Noise margin (Down/Up):11.7 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):6.5 dB / 4.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.1 dBm / 10.5 dBm
CRC Events (Down/Up):22 / 71

Steam download speed at 1.7MB/s, still not as fast as should be really but much better then before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

with that reset your speed is getting to where I expected and your noise margin is still high compared to normal 6db - so more speed possible.

have you tried the test socket?  have you removed the bellwire on terminal 3 in all your sockets as this can be a source of interference 

bellwire removal

what about quiet line test?

if your internet is dropping out then the next drop could easily reconnect at lower speed again

0 Ratings
whitescar911
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

So we just got a phone call and my connection droped again

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:00:37
Downstream:5.555 Mbps
Upstream:683.8 Kbps

ADSL Settings
Modulation:Unknown or no mode configured
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.2 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):24.5 dB / 29.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.7 dBm
CRC Events (Down/Up):4 / 168

The thing is we filter installed so that shouldn't happen. Will try this test socket out.

0 Ratings
whitescar911
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Sorry message got double posted

0 Ratings