cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

When can I expect an upgrade?

Go to solution

Hello all,

I have been on the slowest broadband speed of my life for 6 months now. I have called BT and asked when I could expect an upgrade to fiber or at least anything faster and at first I was told around two weeks (that was after a month since moving to my current address). After another two months or so I called again and a gentleman told me that I shouldn't hold my breath as there is no chance for an upgrade to happen in two weeks but definitely before Christmas. Now, with only two weeks left until Christmas, I don't see me having decent 21'st Century internet speeds until next year and that's if I'm lucky.
I have been on speeds between 1 and 3 Mbps and paying 27£ for it. At the beginning I was getting a fixed download speed of 1.3Mbps and it was never going above it. I called tech support and the lady that answered was reading off of a list of fixes and in the end decided to send me another modem as she wasn't an engineer. The new modem arrived and nothing changed. Then, I decided to to some research myself. I am no expert in this style of internet over telephone line as it is too old for me to have any experience with it (expect for the last 6 months). I bought a new 5m CAT8 Ethernet cable (as short as I could) and a 2m CAT5 modem cable to try and eliminate any bottleneck on the wires. That got me up to a "blazing fast speed" of 1.4Mbps so I did some more digging. I found a website called "increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk" where I saw that the house master socket has a test socket in it so I tried installing the ADSL filter into the test socket and I got 2.0Mbps download speed. Still not the 3Mbps advertised but at least it was something. Then I followed the recommendations and I bought the new G.Fast mastersocket from Openreach which gained me another 0.1Mbps bringing me to the lightning fast speeds of 2.1Mbps.

Now that I've told you my story, here comes my question. From what I can tell, I have ADSL broadband. Is there any chance I could get VDSL or at least ADSL2+? My neighbor below me claimed he gets ~67Mbps and that he has BT Infinity. There is no way for me to go there and test it so I just took his word for it. If he can have such download speeds, why can't I?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: When can I expect an upgrade?

Go to solution

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

RemiAndreiStanila_0-1607457884533.png

I hope this is the information you require.
I cannot try the quiet line test as I don't have a fixed phone. I am only using the broadband port on the mastersocket, nothing else.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Dslchecker results??

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

RemiAndreiStanila_0-1607466068680.png

That "UPRN" code was hard to find...
Also, here's a Bufferbloat test:

RemiAndreiStanila_1-1607466401155.png

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You can see from checker results the estimated date  for FTTC is April 2021

adsl2 is available but I don't think it will improve your down connection speed but will increase your up speed.  However with a very long line like yours you may find a problem if there is even slightest line noise as DLM is more aggressive on asdl2

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

So no chance of a happy end of the year? Darn, I was hoping for at least a few extra Mbps if possible but I guess it is what it is.
Thanks for the information, though.

0 Ratings