cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lauramfirth
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

Who is responsible for BT in Northern Ireland? And how do you get them to do an anything?

Hi,

Posting in the hope that someone can help me! 

We have had a BT account for approx the last 10 years in England, and no issues and concerns with them. 

We recently moved to Northern Ireland and now am met with a brick wall in terms of who deals with issues or how issues are resolved. 

We paid for installation of broadband in our house. We were told it can take up to 10 days for the true broadband speed to show as tests etc. are done on the lines etc. etc. So fair enough. 

However, over the next 5 weeks, we had zero broadband and zero customer service. Every time we logged the broadband issue, in that there was no broadband, we had another line test done on the line and no outcome. We were told to wait for engineers to come, and never did one appear. I was given reassurance that engineers were definitely there, but considering I didn't see them, and the issue wasn't fixed, then I am of the opinion that didn't happen. 

We ended up cancelling our broadband as BT couild provide absolutely no assurance as to what the issue was, that it was being fixed and that they were taking the issue seriously. On the last call to BT, I found out that they hadn't even raised it as a fault yet, so how do you deal with service like this? 

I was told that there must be an issue with the line, and that this was now dealt with by Openreach which is now separate to BT. I logged the issue with Openreach and was hopeful this would be dealt with by them. Two days later I received an email from Openreach to tell me that they don't manage the line to my address, and that this is managed by BT Ireland. Fair enough I thought, as the majority of cabling etc. underground in Ireland, North and South, is owned by the same person. I logged the issue with BT Ireland and again hopefully awaited a response and a resolution. Today I have received a notification from BT Ireland to tell me that the line is managed by BT UK. Who originally told me it was managed by Openreach. 

Who has any idea what is going on? 

And how is it possible to get BT to seriously look at enginering issues? 

The only engineer we ever say at our house was not a BT engineer but clearly an engineer they subcontract in to do the work in this area of Northern Ireland. To say this person did not have a clue what was going on was an understatement. My dad had to show him where the underground cables left the green box and went to our house. He had to also walk him up the road to point out to him where the cabling came down from the main road. It doesn't exactly instill a great deal of hope in the whle thing really does it? 

The issue is this, in a country like Northern Ireland where effectrively BT have the monopoly on broadband due to lack of cabled areas that can access packages from Virgin etc. how do you get BT to actually deal with issues such as this? Who am I supposed to go to? How can I get this resolved? Can anyone help? 

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Who is responsible for BT in Northern Ireland? And how do you get them to do an anything?

It is Openreach who provide and maintain the network on behalf of over 500 + different providers Openreach is not public facing and they will tell you to contact your service provider BT do not have engineers they all come from Openreach
0 Ratings
lauramfirth
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Re: Who is responsible for BT in Northern Ireland? And how do you get them to do an anything?

Openreach have written to me and told me that BT Ireland maintain the network in this area and not Openreach. BT Ireland said it was BT UK. BT UK have said it is Openreach. Openreach ahve said it is BT Ireland.... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

You have to deal with you provider BT Ireland
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Hi @lauramfirth and welcome.

I'm really sorry you're having problems getting connected. If you're in Northern Ireland it's unlikely BT Ireland will be your service provider. I'll be happy to lend a hand with this if you wish. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. We're very busy at present so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit the details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
NMcC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

I thought it was BT Wholesale for UK mainland and BT Retail for northern ireland customers

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 27

@NMcC: BT Wholesale does not sell to the public anywhere, only to the service providers, as its name implies.

Message 8 of 27

My understanding is that Openreach are not in northern Ireland. The network is run by BT Retail.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
redj
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

Hi Laura

Did you ever get this problem resolved? I am having the exact same issue, been without fibre for nearly 8 weeks now & BT just keep telling me they are waiting on openreach and openreach keep telling me my address is provisioned by BT Ireland, but BT says that it is all through openreach. I am losing the plot at this stage!! It's FTTP so I can't even just get normal broadband

Any help or advice you can give me would be gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks

Janette 

0 Ratings
redj
Beginner
Message 10 of 27

Hi Laura

Did you ever get this problem resolved? I am having the exact same issue, been without fibre for nearly 8 weeks now & BT just keep telling me they are waiting on openreach and openreach keep telling me my address is provisioned by BT Ireland, but BT says that it is all through openreach. I am losing the plot at this stage!! It's FTTP so I can't even just get normal broadband

Any help or advice you can give me would be gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks

Janette 

0 Ratings