cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Why are there different speeds for EO and FTTC lines?

It's quite irritating to find that other users on the same exchange can get FTTC with speeds of around 35 Mps, whereas, being nearer to the exchange I'm on an EO line with speeds, (if I'm lucky).

Is there any reason why the direct lines are just slower although, perhaps, you could consider the Exchange a a virtual cabinet.

Alan
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why are there different speeds for EO and FTTC lines?

Direct EO lines are ADSL with a maximum possible speed of 24M not VDSL. It is not possible to install VDSL DSLAMs in the exchange for technical reasons.

In some locations, cabinets have been installed in the grounds or very close to exchanges to provide FTTC (VDSL) but it is by no means universal.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

E/O lines can be difficult to upgrade, if your line doesn’t use a cabinet, then (obviously) fibre to the cabinet isn’t possible, you may think well why not just put the ‘fibre’ equipment,  that would normally be in the cabinet inside the exchange, but that presents technical issues ( ANFP , access network frequency plan , good bedtime reading if you cannot get to sleep )
As already stated, sometimes the solution is to divert EO lines into a newly constructed cabinet on the perimeter of the exchange, but that isn’t always the appropriate solution.
Chances are, EO lines are constantly under review, and with the drive to FTTP rather than FTTC, it’s likely that any future solution will be ‘full fibre’ rather than FTTC

Message 4 of 4

Thanks to you both for your repleis.  I have a better understanding of the issue now, although the result is a little depressing.

With the drive to FTTP I suppose that will mean BT (or rather OR), laying microducts down every street.  Let's hope they do a better job that the VM operation; in this street alone the number of blocked ducts is reaching double figures.

Alan
0 Ratings