cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TwoPhotons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Why is my broadband connection so slow?!

Go to solution

Using a BTHub4 with an ADSL2+ connection. My PC is connected via ethernet.

Latest speedtest (BT):

Download: 3.45Mbps

Upload: 0:00Mbps

Ping: 215.83

We usually receive ~13Mbps for download, ~900kbps for upload and ~30ms for ping.

There is no noise on the phone line.

The ADSL cable goes into the master socket.

I have been having issues for a long time now. Here's my story:

I owned one BTHub4 router up until a week ago. Since December it was broken however, because the speeds I got from it were very slow (about the same as the ones right now, with a characteristic '0.00' for upload speed!), so I was instead using my 'backup' router, a DSL-2780 from TalkTalk, which worked perfectly. About two weeks ago I happened to complain to BT after waiting many months and received a replacement BTHub4 router, which I left alone because I didn't really need it if the DSL was working fine.

On Monday, I suddenly experienced frequent internet connection drops on the D-Link (around the afternoon), and later that day the internet stopped working on my D-Link AT ALL. I could not get onto any website, because if I tried to, a message popped up from BT saying something like "You must close browser and internet connection before attempting to reconnect, there are 5 possible reasons for this...", very strange behaviour. So I switched to my replacement BTHub4 router and alas, while I can access webpages, the internet is painfully slow.

Is this some sort of throtting I'm experiencing? Why am I suddenly unable to access the internet at all through the other DSL-2780 router?

I will try to get a copy of that BT message I'm seeing on my D-Link.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Why is my broadband connection so slow?!

Go to solution

if you have hh4 conencted can you go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together showing conenction speed and noise margin 

Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TwoPhotons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here are the stats:

21:51:15, 16 Jun.   ( 106.400000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 9.10 dB downstream

21:51:14, 16 Jun.   ( 105.380000) DSL line rate: 66 Kbps upstream, 13428 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

your down speed is 13mb but you up is almost non existent.  can you use the test socket instead of the master especially if you have extension sockets - or do you have an SSFP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TwoPhotons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I have to apologize, the router isn't connected to the master socket. It's connected to a standard socket. Failed to recognize it, sorry!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

so is it possible to conenct to test socket with new filter to see if that improves your conenction

0 Ratings
TwoPhotons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

OK, I think my router is connected to the master socket but it's not the usual version (it looks like a 'standard socket', our phone line is very old), so I don't think we have a test socket. I'm not very knowledgeable about this though.

I changed to another filter, but nothing's changed.

EDIT: The socket looks like this:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

If you changed filter then hub has reset so can you post new stats please

Just a standard socket. That is where the openreach line comes in from outside

0 Ratings
TwoPhotons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Yep:

17:34:29, 17 Jun. (67480.710000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 9.00 dB downstream

17:34:26, 17 Jun. (67478.460000) DSL line rate: 72 Kbps upstream, 13428 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

That's not any better

Can I suggest as a last resort you try a factory reset using the recessed button on the back and hold till lights flash and see if that helps

0 Ratings