Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NerdModeEngaged
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Why limit ADSL2+

Go to solution
Hi, I am new here but I was just wondering why do BT limit ADSL2+ speeds to 17mbps even though it is capable of 24mbps, I don't think it is down to stability issues because my grandparents live about 250m from the exchange and are on ADSL but they get about 8mbps which is the maximum that ADSL supports, so that leaves the theory that BT does it to allow for their FTTC packages to look more appealing, and one last thing if I threaten them with my grandparents leaving them for a better deal, could they unlock ADSL2+ speeds as part of a special deal with us? I am thinking this because their exchange is being upgraded to ADSL2+ and they live so close to the exchange they could easily be getting 24 Mbps
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why limit ADSL2+

Go to solution
BT do not limit ADSL2+ to 17 mbps speeds are dependant on line length and quality many users do get 24 mbps it sounds like your grandparents are still on ADSL mAX an up to 8mbps service.
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
this will show if ADSL 2+ is available if it is then they would need to place an upgrade order or just wait while a mass migration to ADSL2+ takes place there is no need to threaten people and ADSL2+ is sold as 17 mbps for advertising reasons only
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

17M is the quoted speed because OFCOM told broadband companies to stop claiming speeds that only a tiny handful of customers could ever get.

My Home Hub is currently reporting a download speed of 18.41M, so it's possible to get faster.  I've never heard of anyone actually getting more than about 20M in the real World.

0 Ratings
NerdModeEngaged
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Hi I have run the DNS checker and I can confirm that ADSL is the only thing available with a reported max of 8 Mbps, estimate of 7-8 mbps and an actual of 7.5 mbps over wifi, I have contacted BT and they have notified me of their exchange is having FTTC and ADSL2+ installed within 9 months, so I now need to get to work moving everything from the extension socket to the master, replacing the 30 year old master socket with an NTE5C with VDSL Mk.4 faceplate, a new TP LINK ADSL2+ modem, a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and finally a Unifi AC LR in hope to get the full ADSL2+ speeds and penetrate the 24" thick stone walls with wifi, wish me luck!
0 Ratings