Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisMWhite
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Wii Connection Losses

Hi there

This is the first time I have used this forum so I apologise if I have dropped this in the wrong area.

I have recently moved and am generally happy with BT.  I have an issue that when playing Wii Black Ops online I get disconnected during every game and the gameplay is quite jittery (on occasion); sometimes a game will run for 2 mins or sometimes 8 or 9 (it is a random disconnection).  40 % of the time the game runs normally.

During my first 10 days I was content that this was all part of the rebalancing to allow me the max line speed available - it is now nearly 3 weeks so this should have been completed.

I get a 7 Mbps downlink here which is significantly more than my last house where (with TalkTalk) I only got 500 kbps - it all worked fine then.

I am using a BTHH3 so any suggestions would be much appreciated (and not play with the big boys on the PS3 - I'm 40 and not allowed one ;-).  I have set up port forwarding and this has not improved the situation.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Wii Connection Losses

Hi and welcome

Does the Wii connect with a cable to the homehub or is it wireless?

Do you have the same disconnections with your PC?

If you are wireless try using a cable to see if you get the same problem

You may have problems with interference on your wireless.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
ChrisMWhite
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Hi

The Wii connects wirelessly.  Nintendo have produced an adaptor that allows you to connect via a wired connection but I have never had any need for one.

I'm assuming that as my BTHH3 says it's been connected for a few days that this means that there have been no disconnects.  I have copied and pasted my HH stats - not sure what the CRC events are?  Perhaps you have a better idea?

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:4 days, 22:34:34
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.4 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):28.1 dB / 16.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 3
CRC Events (Down/Up):76809 / 0

I have run inSIDDer 2.0 and it shows that the wireless channel I am operating on is clear of other users.  Like I say - the Wii does connect and play but not as well as it has in the past.  I am wondering if this is a BT Hub 'ism' as I previously used a Netgear.

Are there any specific best practice configurations when using a Wii with a BTHH3?  I am working WPA/WPA2 but may change that to WEP later to see if that makes a difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

have you tried changing the wireless from default b/g/n to just b/g?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ChrisMWhite
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Hi there

Yes I have.  I read that on one of the other posts - I also changed the channel to be fixed at the same time so may try it again on it's own.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
billyboy147
Beginner
Message 6 of 24

Dont bother BT are dropping every ones speed during peak times and if you use xbox live or sony for gaming Bt think your downloading torrents as most games are Peer 2 peer it a injustice as fibre should handel it no problem 150mb if they wanted

But the dont want to overload the servers had 3 engineers out put on to a new line at the exchange and my connection is fine up to 6pm am midnight which it drops from 38.9mb down to 17 or 18mb down and 8.5mb upload to 3 mb upload BT are ripping us off with false advertising will be handing my vision and phone and infinity all back to BT and shopping else were

As I see this as missleading and breach of contract you should only get a drop of around 5mb on fiber and not 20mb so dont think its your router line ect. Its BT thrashing the line .

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

billyboy147 If you read the post the posters problem is NOT speed related but a problem with his home network wireless connection
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 24

OP,

With a flip it don’t matter what system your on, if you have the choice go wired, much better for ping and latency, there is so much that can interfere with wireless in the home.

You have missed a big headache with the PS3 its had its servers compromised and 77mil users details stolen and still possibility any CCs cards too  and currently PSN is offline for all, Black ops on the Ps3 is poor online.

As with thrashing line, try ADSL, no matter what time of day  I get steady 5.3mb down .34up, never changes! Never lag!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
ChrisMWhite
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Well I switched to WEP and managed to get a game all the way through - this may just be coincidence though.  I then tried just WPA 2 and it failed, switched back to WPA/WPA2 and worked for about 8 mins before being disconnected.  Not sure it is a wireless issue - maybe just a Wii config issue.

Does anyone else use a Wii and what encryption method do you use?

Many thanks for all of your help.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 24

Occasinally use the Wii online, always use WPA2 for security, on the HH2 though, never have problems.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings