cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
penguinmeister92
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Wiltshire,Amesbury connection issues?

This whole week i've been having some really bad problems with my internet connetion, my download speed is less than 200kb/s from 700kb/s,  my router keeps losing connetion every hour or so, i can barely load a video without buffering. I'm using an ethernet cable. I've done an online speed test and my speed is 1.67mb/s . Are there problems in the area?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wiltshire,Amesbury connection issues?

0 Ratings
penguinmeister92
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

My area is no there. Also, i don't use a phone so i don't know how to find out what my landline phone number is...

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Your phone number is listed on your bills, which you can view at http://bt.com/mybt

The username and password to log in there will be the email address and password that you used when you ordered your BT package originally.

You should purchase a cheap corded phone though. Even if you do not make phone calls, your broadband relies on a dial tone to work at the maximum speed possible. Your broadband can work with no dial tone, but at a very impacted speed and is prone to repeated disconnections. You can get a cheap phone from a lot of places, just make sure it's corded.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

your problem could be with your phone line you need to connect a phone to the test socket to check for a dial tone or any line noise without doing those basic checks you will be unable to start and resolve your problem you can get a basic phone for around £5.00
penguinmeister92
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I've bought a corded phone and plugged in there, but all i get is static, i even unscrewed the wall socket and plugged it directly in there without broadband connected, still static. Also the internet connection is just as miserable. I may need to call for an engineer

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

if you cannot get a dial tone when connected to the test socket then you need to report a phone fault not a broadband fault to 151  get line woring and broadband will improve

broadband can work with only 1 of the 2 incoming wires connected but very slowly

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
avast
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Had a similar problem in my area in Wiltshire all last week and on Sat 28th November but over the last few days , phone line was okay but at one piont had no dial tone which lasted for about 2 minuets. Since then have had many disconnections and hopefully will be sorted sooner rather than later, another site to check on the telephone exchanges is :-

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/bt-british-telecom

Also last week the weather has been awful in gale force winds and heavy rain.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
penguinmeister92
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

An engineer came over and repaird my phone line, there was a fault indeed. The phone is working properly and my internet is working better. But, the download speed is still really low, no more than 200kb/s download speed. The online speedtest shows my speed at 1.22mb/s... this is pathetically low. Maybe it'll just take a bit of time for the line to start working properly again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings