cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Wireless adaptors and connection speed

Following some of the advice on these boards, I have just purchased a Edimax Wireless Adaptor to connect a desktop PC to our Home Hub2.  Both are supposedly wireless 'N' compliant.  Installation of the USB hub was straightforward and I was soon connected.  However, the status of the connection says the speed is only 54Mbps (far short of the 'up to 300Mbps' advertised).  Yet my wife's laptop connecting to the same hub shows 130Mbps.  Is there anything else that we need to do to be able to increase the speed?  What is the maximum that I can expect?

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
G3NDI
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wireless adaptors and connection speed

Probably one of the experts may comment in more detail in due course.

My understanding is the rates mentioned for the wireless link have nothing to do with the line synchronisation rate on the twisted pair to the exchnage.  Don't forget the radio link is working in the 2.5 GHz band, which can handle that sort of modulation rate, but you will not get that on twisted copper pairs running in a bundle with others!    I have a USB LAN adapter 802.11n compliant which I use on a laptop, it is rated as up to 54 Mbps, but my line rate on the HomeHub2 is only 12,000-15,000 kbps.

Rodney Fry

0 Ratings
jamesari
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Check if ur wireless adaptor's interface type is B/G/N, if it is B/G only then it will give u speed of only 54Mbps n wont go above that
0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

The Edimax 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter (http://www.shop.bt.com/products/edimax-300mbps-wireless-n-usb-adapter-79FN.html) states "You can enjoy high data transfer rate at up to 300Mbps when your Edimax EW-7622UMn USB adapter is connected with wireless 802.11n-compatible devices".  The Page for the Home hub states "The BT Home Hub 2.0 (including the BT Infinity version) and BT Home Hub 3 use "802.11n", or "11n" wireless technology".  The adaptor was chosen from the list of devices that came up from the list describing adaptors that would work with the hone hub (www.bt.com/shop/adapter).  I, therefore, assume that it can handle wireless 'n' technology.  Have I been sold a dud, or is there something else I must do?  Or will it actually make any difference if the speed between the router and the local exchange is slow?

thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Your broadband connection speed has nothing to do with your wireless speed the wireless connection is only within your home
0 Ratings
G3NDI
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

A quick scan with Google gives a many sites that describe the speed of your wireless connection, such as

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

Why is my wireless connection so slow?
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12308

How do I determine the capabilities of my wireless network adapter
?
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_determine_the_capabilities_of_my_wireless_network_adapter.html

Introduction to 2.4 GHz
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-24.htm

I think it is clear from these that if you are operating a home network where the PCs, printers, etc., are linked by the wireless adapters, or cards, then you may see a significant "speed" of file sharing between them on the radio network than you would sending the file(s) onto the public wired network.   The fact that ADSL 2+  allows very fast data transmission ( up to ca 20+ Mbps) over a pair of old, twisted copper wires is because of very clever mathematical techniques in data modulation -  see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/21cn.htm.

I don't see that you have a dud adaptor, it is designed to transfer data at the design rate under specified conditions.    The fact that the file you wish to send then has to go down the twisted copper pair to the exchange will slow everything down.    If you are fortunate enough to have a fibre optic link into the house then you may well achieve somewhat more than I get.   However, since your data needs to be shared with every other user sending data to the exchange, then you will still be limited.

In the vicinity of your home wireless network there are practical ways of improving your effective speed such as checking there is no interference on the channels used either in-house or from neighbours, you have maximised the signals, etc.

Rodney Fry

0 Ratings
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

Interesting links, was most surprised by the range limit statements. Basically that n will work better (better throughput) than say g at a specified range but won't actually improve the range the signal is actually transmitted.

Also the specific conditions which are required to use n properly. Happily I had already learnt most of what was there; so no long list of surprises 🙂

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thanks everyone for the replies.  However, I'm not sure that I am really any better informed.  Both the PC and the laptop are running Windows 7.  If I click on the wireless signal on each and select Status, the Wireless Network Connection Status dialog box states that the speed is 130Mbps for the laptop but only 54Mbps for the PC.  I'd simply like to know why.

0 Ratings
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

The Laptop is running N wireless, the PC G wireless. So the laptop has a better specified network card than the PC.
N is newer and capable of faster speeds, hence the different reported speeds.

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

AFAIAA the PC does not have a network card - which is why I bought a USB adaptor.  One that I thought was capable of wireless N.

0 Ratings