cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goazi
Beginner
Message 11 of 16

Re: Wireless adaptors and connection speed

I have had the same problem, i managed to increase the speed to 144.5Mbps by opening the edimax utility, going to the available network tab, double clicking on the network i was using, and changing the network authentication to WPA2-PSK and the data encryption to AES.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

Hi Goazi this is a year old post  and the poster has not returned since  his last post 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Thanks to Goazi for, at least, attempting to post a possible solution.  Yes I haven't been back since posting - principally because I never received a definitive answer. 

Anyway, I follwed Goazi's suggestion, but it appears that I am already using those settings.

On further investigation of the Edimax facility, under the Available Network tab, there is a column 'Supported Rate(s)'. This only appears to go up to 54M even though the mode says N,G.  Perhaps I am going the best available rate it can provide?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

you could try a search from the manufactures web site and see if there are more updated drivers for it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 16

Have you tried using an additional USB extension to move the adapter (with the base)

1) further away from the PC

2) closer to the hub

3) higher up

You could, if you so wish, put the laptop next to the PC and compare results or possibly trying this - turn off or disable the wireless on your Wife's laptop, install your adapter on this and compare the results......

The max you'll get using a HH2 is 130mbps and 130mbps or 144mbps* on a HH3

*I've witnessed this using a band n enabled laptop:o

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Goazi
Beginner
Message 16 of 16

I just checked the Supported Rate on my computer and it doesn't go any higher than 54M but i'm still getting a higher rate, i pick up several other networks from my house and none of those go any higher than 54M.

So it still might be worth while playing around with the settings, like switching the encryption from AES to TKIP, although i read somewhere that TKIP isn't supposed to support rates higher than 54Mbps.

0 Ratings