cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cassie1
Message 1 of 9

Wiring a broadband extension socket from a BT master

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to wire in an extension socket for broadband. I have connected the extension cable to pins 3, 5 and 2 at the master socket and similarly to the extension socket. The phone works from the extension but when the router is plugged in to the extension there is no connection. I am trying to do this for an elderly person in order to save him some money, so any advice would be welcome. Thank you
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wiring a broadband extension socket from a BT master

Is it a filtered master socket? Can you post a pic. You only need pins 2&5 disconnect 3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cassie1
Message 3 of 9

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. Can't send a pic as not at his house until tomorrow. Sorry, I forgot to say that if the router is plugged into the master socket via a filter then broadband works. I have a filter plugged into the extension socket. Do I need a filter on the master socket if so how would I connect the extension cable. Thank you again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

If you are trying to move hub to different location you could just leave filter in master and run a longer rj11 modem cable form filter to hub. If you want to use extension socket then connecting to pins 2&5 in master then connecting to pins 2&5 in extension and then use a filter to connect modem cable to hub. This may cause a reduction in your connection speed whereas first suggestion will not

modem cable rj11 like this. belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cassie1
Message 5 of 9

Thank you again for your reply. Would connecting to pin 3 as I have done stop the broadband connection working. I really appreciate your help with this as I don't want to leave Len aged 88 without a connection.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

No just it is not required and can cause interference. As long as you have the same colour connected to the same terminals and then use a filter at extension

0 Ratings
Cassie1
Message 7 of 9

Okay, will disconnect the wire to pin 3 tomorrow and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't any more thoughts? Thank you for your help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

If you are connecting to terminals 2&5 on the back of the detachable front plate of master and then connecting same coloured wire to terminals 2&5 in extension socket and you use a filter it should work

0 Ratings
Cassie1
Message 9 of 9

Thank you again for all your help, will give this a try tomorrow.
0 Ratings