cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Worth upgrading from BT HH4 for wired only connections?

Ditching my WiFi on my router and will only be using wired connections. Wondering if its worth getting a better router than the HH4 for this or would a better router only come with better features relating to WiFi stuff? 

I have a very poor adsl connection (avg 4mb) so not looking for anything fancy but I would like a nice stable service and anything that improves me ping. 

I know different modem chipsets can have an affect on how the modem communicates with the cabinet /exchange so wondering if that's a consideration?

Might be able to get a HH6 for free so is that worth the effort of replacing the HH4 for my purposes? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Worth upgrading from BT HH4 for wired only connections?

I can only speak of my personal experience having the same equipment as yourself.

I have been using the Home Hub 4 since 2014 with the usual dropouts about 5 times a day but managed and lived through it.

Spoke to BT about it recently so they sent me a new Home Hub 2 (Latest HH) and with my poultry 1mbps line was utterly useless to the tune I took it off after only a few hours.

Failed to connect and when it did was totally useless, If you are ethernet only keep what you have.

Speedtest.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 3 of 4

@camy 

For ADSL, the only reliable home hub is going to be the HH4, which is optimised for ADSL only.

The later home hubs have a wider bandwidth, and are susceptible to interference which is outside of the ADSL frequency range, especially if you are on a long line. This can result in disconnections, poor speeds, and much longer time to re-connect if the connection drops.

Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the two replies above.  Really useful to know about the HH4 being optimised best for ADSL.  I'll stick with the HH4 then.

0 Ratings