You are more than welcome @gwuk.
I submitted the order at 10:04:28 and received confirmation since to confirm it has been completed. Your profile will begin to increase now that you have been moved from the BT IPStream Home/Office 500 service. If it doesn't improve over the next two days we'll need to speak with our suppliers directly.
It has already recovered on its own as I expected it to, so you were not on a fixed rate product.
The IP profile will increase over the next few days, provided you leave things alone. Do not reset the home hub when you do a speed test.
If you read the replies from the moderator (DanielS) you will see that he reset the profile from the wrong setting, which was as I expected a fixed rate service (BT IPStream Home/Office 500).
Many many thanks to @DanielS for resolving this frustrating issue. It is a pity the rest of BT's customer service isn't as good as provided by Daniel.
It is ironic that a communications company make it so difficult to get in touch with competent staff. Since my service switched to BT on 23 January I have had only 0.5Mb/s download speeds. The SNR ratio was very high and it was clear that the dynamic adjustment of speeds was not happening as it is supposed to. Daniel recogised this immediately and sorted the problem within a few minutes. It is a pity that the so called techical support staff (in India?) could not do that when I tried to tell them this almost a month ago. The call centre technical support staff seem to have almost no technical knowledge and did not even know what SNR/noise margin means. They only seem able to follow simple scripts about checking the wireless channel even when told that the problem is the dsl connection not the Wifi.
If they had understood the problem it could have been resolved a month ago but instead they insisted on sending an engineer. For this I had to take time off work and three times no engineer turned up. The BT staff each time just expected me to take another day off work on the off chance that the engineer might turn up. Eventually when an engineer did turn up at the 4th attempt, he confirmed what I already suspected. The problem was with the account not the line. Even with this information, BT refused to accept the cause of the problem and could not do anything about it. It was only by coming to this forum and having my post flagged to a moderator that I was able to get resolution. I wish I had used the forum earlier.
It should not be this difficult to get problems resolved. If someone like me who is very comfortable with technical issues has this much trouble getting a solution, how on earth do people less technically literate manage. Apart from Daniel, the customer service from BT has been appalling.
Unbelievably, the complaints department at BT are just as bad and seemed to be staffed by the same overseas call centre. They have no knowledge and no authority to do anything. On several occasions they failed to phone back when they said they would. Not sure who to complain to about the complaints department!
BT clearly need to replace their overseas call centre with people like the moderators from this forum. Until they do, I would advise people not to join BT.