Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwuk
Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Wrongly connected to Fixed Rate ADSL rather than Max service

Go to solution

The BT openreach engineer attended yesterday and checked the socket. There are no extensions. 

He confirmed that it was a fixed rate product and was surprised. He said it must have been done in error. Because it was a fixed rate product it would not allow a SNR reset. The openreach "Centre of Excellence" confirmed this

0 Ratings
gwuk
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Information from Hub 4

1. Product Name: HomeHub4

2. Serial number: +076281+1640008129

3. Firmware version: v0.07.04.12064-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 01B

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:21:17

6. Data Rate: 288 / 576

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1220 / 5136

8. Noise Margin: 31.0 / 37.1

9. Line Attenuation: 27.5 / 38.5

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 38.5

Results of DSL Availability checker

....on Exchange THWING is served by Cabinet 3 ADSL

Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date Left in Jumper ADSL

Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. This line is on a Market A Exchange. In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises. The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated. Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

You are not on a fixed rate as your maximum data rate is 5136Kbs. You are on ADSL2+ as your max upload rate is 1220Kbs.

DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has reduced the connection speed, it will recover on its own provided you leave it alone.

You are on one of the banded speed profiles, that will correct itself. So no restarts or disconnections.

See this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

0 Ratings
gwuk
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You are not on a fixed rate as your maximum data rate is 5136Kbs. You are on ADSL2+ as your max upload rate is 1220Kbs.

DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has reduced the connection speed, it will recover on its own provided you leave it alone.

See this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

No the BT OPenreach engineer said this is not the case because he could not reset the SNR because the service has been set NOT to adjust the speed (i.e a fixed rate). Despite the SNR being very high, the system has never altered the speed in over a month.

I assume the max data rate is the theoretical maximum the line can support with the currently measured attenution, but for some reason it is set to be fixed at 0.5Mb/s so DLM is not operating

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

I am sorry, but I am sure you have been given the wrong information.

Let the moderator take a look.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @gwuk,

You do appear to be capped or on a wrong profile going by the info from your Hub 4. IE line item 8.

We can get an order placed directly with our suppliers to change it for you but we'll need your details in first. To reach us, click on my user name and then on contact the mods.

Thanks

DanielS

gwuk
Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I am sorry, but I am sure you have been given the wrong information.

Let the moderator take a look.

It seems others have had the same problem

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Fixed-connection-speed-Engineer-confrimed-Cu...

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @gwuk,

Thanks for sending your details in. I've placed an order to change you onto ADSL Max which is up to 8 Mbps. Hopefully this will go ahead smoothly and you'll be able to get speeds closer to the max data rate noted on your HH4. It can take up to 5 working days to complete. One of the team will pick this up for you over the next few working days and will check up on the order and update you.

Thanks

DanielS

gwuk
Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

@DanielS wrote:

Hi @gwuk,

Thanks for sending your details in. I've placed an order to change you onto ADSL Max which is up to 8 Mbps. Hopefully this will go ahead smoothly and you'll be able to get speeds closer to the max data rate noted on your HH4. It can take up to 5 working days to complete. One of the team will pick this up for you over the next few working days and will check up on the order and update you.

Thanks

DanielS

Thank you. I can see already that my Hub has reconnected at 7840 kbps with a noise margin of 6.1dB although a speed test is still showing only 0.5Mbps - hopefully this will now improve over the next few days

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

It has already recovered on its own as I expected it to, so you were not on a fixed rate product.

The IP profile will increase over the next few days, provided you leave things alone. Do not reset the home hub when you do a speed test.

0 Ratings