cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Zero Guaranteed Download Speed

I am looking to sign up with BT because I have heard that their service is better than my current service provider. However, when searching what broadband deals I can get through BT, the only result I can get at my address is the regular broadband deal with the download speed range listed as "0mb-0mb, Your Stay Fast Guarantee 0.0Mb." 

There have been a lot of issues with my current service provider that they have not been able to fix which is why I am looking into BT. I know that there might be issues with the actual line. We have had an open reach engineer come and inspect the problem and he mentioned that there might be issues with the line coming from the exchange straight to my flat. However, the problem has not been resolved and I am not sure where I should be looking to get this fixed as the service provider and the engineers keep directing me to each other without any answers.

Is there something BT can do that other service providers can't that will help resolve this issue if we decide to switch with them? 

I live in North London if that gives a bit of context and I know neighbours are getting speeds of up to 67mb or more, while I am currently only getting 5mb on a good day but usually between 0.05-4 with frequent connection dropouts. Upload speeds are even worse and uploading anything larger than 1mb will cause the connection to drop.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Zero Guaranteed Download Speed

BT like your existing ISP will use openreach for line problems so it may even be same engineer if you joined BT

can you enter your address and post results  remember delete address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the response, I thought that might be the case regarding openreach engineers.

Here are the results from the broadband checker.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.27.52 pm.jpg

Thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Checker shows expected connection speed could be up to 6mb on adsl2

there does not appear to be fibre available to you from the stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Yes – that is also what my current ISP said prior to signing up with them. They guaranteed a minimum speed of 4.9mbps, however it hardy every reaches that and usually fluctuates between 0.05-4mbps and often drops out. 

People have suggested BT as a better option, but was concert to switch over as when I looked up broadband deals with BT their estimated and guaranteed speed says 0.0mb.Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.00.25 am.jpg

Which is why I am wondering...

Is it better to stay with my current ISP where my plan is cheaper than BT, but my speeds reach neither their estimated speeds or their guaranteed minimum speed?

OR

Is it better to switch to BT as people have suggested that their service is better, but BT's estimated download speed range, and stay fast guarantee both say zero, PLUS it will cost me more?

0 Ratings