Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
docevilution
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

bad broadband after fault on line

hello there im after some advice please so a little update on wat has happened 

since we moved into our house 3 years ago we had a speed of 7 meg stable, 6 months ago we had a problom where we lost the phone line so contacted bt they found a fault on our lone when openreach was running fiber down the lines they broke our copper cabling, so they replaced it and our broadband has never been right since, our speeds are 3.5 meg now and not stable at all so i have contaced bt many times and they say my the min my line can take is 2 meg and at 3.5 we are above the min, and yet even tho for 3 years we had 7 meg its quite a drop and i dont seem to be getting any where

any advice please

these are the stats under our home hub do they look right please as i dont think they do

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: 
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/09/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 13:25:57
6. Data rate:448 / 4160
7. Maximum data rate:1272 / 4384
8. Noise margin:25.0 / 6.7
9. Line attenuation:29.0 / 48.3
10. Signal attenuation:29.0 / 47.8
11. Data sent/received:45.0 MB / 485.3 MB
12. Broadband username: 
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-GZNH
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:6
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-GZNH
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:54:64:d9:0a:2d:1a
24. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
25. Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
26. Latency type:Interleaved
27. Software variant:AA
28. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: bad broadband after fault on line

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you using the test socket with a new filter?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
docevilution
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

the line test is all quiet but that was one thing i did see that the noise lvl was high? here are the results sorry only way i saw was to screen shot the page so will upload it

bt.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

sorry but are you using the test socket especially if you have extensions in other rooms  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
docevilution
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

i have one main master socket in the living room and this is the only socket in the whole house router plugs straight into this with no extensions and it is plugged in as normal so im to take the panel off and plug straight into the open part yes?

0 Ratings
docevilution
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

ok just taken my phone socket off and looked and its not the same as that one its a old style one where its just all in one piece on the back of the plate

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

ok

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

with your current attenuation of 48db the normal speed would be about 5/5.5mb so unless something has happened when they fixed your line I cannot see you getting back to a 7mb connection speed

you are on adslmax bt your exchnage has been upgraded to adsl2 so it may be possible with mod help to get upgraded.  however if your line is unstable then moving to adsl2 may make matters worse so really need to get current conenction fixed before trying to upgrade to adsl2

is there anything here that could be causing a problem

interference causes

0 Ratings
docevilution
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

ok so i may be able to get upto 5.5 meg thats a bit start in my eyes as im onkly on 3.5 so thats another 2 meg so i wold be intrested in how i do that.... biggest thing is nothing in my house or set up has changed in 3 years untill the problom where they broke the copper cabling and since that fix its not been right altho they say no fault on my line anymore

plus i kow a lot of things to consider but my neighbour who is futher away from the exchange by one house still ahs there 7.5 meg speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

your connection time is only 13hrs was that due to manual reset or router dropping connection

as I said if your line is dropping connection then moving t adsl2 would more than likely make matters worse so really need to get stable connection before any move

0 Ratings