cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New_stone
Message 1 of 46

bad broadband connection - rubbish customer support, the problem just goes on and on and on

Hi all

My problem is very like those that I have read below on this forum. I am a semi literate in the world of PC and Network and have been with BT for a long time.

In simple terms, on a three monthly phase or there abouts my broadband connection fails.I've been suffering this on going issue for almost a year or more. When suffering an incident the internet access if unuseable for days or weeks.

what do I do?

I call support and and go through all the basic tests (with more or less patients after all this time). The line test show good connection and the Home Hub 3 alwasy has three solid blue lights.

I have a HUB 3, (now repalced three times, twice in the last two weeks!).

In the past the fix has only come after the problem has been escalted to the second level support teams. But i've also had engineers come and visit and check the home wiring (it was fine).

The first level support clearly know nothing and don't understand the test they are running. So its a matter of getting thougth their banal questions as swiftly as possible to get to the escalation point.

While with the second level engineers, and despite asking what test they do, SOMETHING IS DONE IN THE BACK GROUND, If I only knew what, I could ask for this to be done at teh outset!.  On one occasion I went from almost no connection to 5.5 mbps download a dn 1.2 upload within 15 minutes all the while the on the phone support person saying, I've not really doen anything, but clearly he had. 

The experiance i have as an end user is. the broadband connection is good and often seems to remain solid but there is NO internet access. On other occasion the is so little conneciton speed that the BT or third party speed test will not run !

I suspect that the port I am allocated at the BT exchange has a problem or is over loaded in terms of contention. of ther eis some other filtering going on or a log file needs resetting .

I have the same issue from all the develices in my house regardless of if they are connected by hard wire or wireless.  Inside the home the network runs perfectly between all devices, NAS storage, wifi printer etc.  

So the question is : how do I get to a more senior and qualified level of support engineer and what kind of re-sets may have been going on to fix my line each time this occurs. When fixed I get maybe two or at most three months of 'service' but in-between that I am really paying BT for not service at all, a matter I will also be taking up when I get the next bill but one thing at a time.

any guidance, phone numbers or direct e-mail adresses most welcome. 

I have so Many 'Vol0nnnnnnnn' fault references I could start a business slelling them except they are valueless as teh faults don't get fixed. 

I also find it very frustrating that the BT support staff don't call back when they say they will.  

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 46

Re: bad broadband connection - rubbish customer support, the problem just goes on and on and on

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
New_stone
Message 3 of 46

Re: bad broadband connection - rubbish customer support, the problem just goes on and on and on

Ok John46,

here we go again.. My Main PC is connected to the master socket.

New Type, freshly fitted by a BT engineer around Chrsitmas time when he came to sort out the issue the time before last !!

I Have a Home HUB 3

speed test

all the phones and sockets in the house have micro filters - and these weere also all refreshed by the attending BT engineer mentioned above.

Any suggestions greatfully received. But a route to the higher levels of BT support is what I need.

thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 46

Your speedtest result is not displaying also can you post the hub stats as asked for in my link if the forum community cannot resolve your problem then we can get the forum mods team involved they are the only BT employees here
0 Ratings
New_stone
Message 5 of 46

hi
i did put them into the post is sent back. don't know why they are not showing. I'll try again. thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 46

in order for the forum members and/or mods to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

I appeciate you have a new master but can you connect to test socket to eliminate any problems caused by your internal wiring. Do you know if the engineer disconnected the bellwire from terminal 3 in all your sockets 

bellwire removal

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
New_stone
Message 7 of 46

ADSL status

Speed test

I hope thrse upload this time.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 46

Nothing 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
New_stone
Message 9 of 46

HI,
yes I've been thought the test socket. re the bell wire. I believe this was also removed. re the silent test 17070. rung and I hear silence.. which in this case is good.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 46

You need to click on your name then go to images on right and the you should be able to upload image then whpen you post go to 'green tree' and you should be able to see you images and add to post

0 Ratings