Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toppers
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

broad band speed dropped after line fault

Go to solution

Ok so over week and a bit ago I hada line fault BT turned up did tests said there was a fault down the road at my box came back said he had gone to exchange and moved my line but need another enger to come and lift duct in street as there was a problem there.  The other engr turns up in afternoon and finds fault in my house and fixes phone problem.

I then find out there is no boroadband so raise another ticket getting and engr for wednesday, get a phone call monday night saying it is fixed and cancelling visit.  I test BB and result is 0.5 down and 0.01 up (I can get nearly 8 down as I live near exchange)  They reset router and it will be ok tomorrow.  Check next day and still same, talk on line do tsts and they agree it is not working and results are poor.  Engr visit arranged for yesterday.

He arrives with wrong details (I have 2 lines in my house work and home ) finds a problem on wire replaces it but result still the same says it is my router and can do nothing because the ticket refers to the other line!!!!

Today i have used a netgear router and same result as before even though BT man says i can get nearly max download.

I am now getting rather frustrated as this now 2 weeks and the orginal engr moved it in the exchange but no one seems to take notice or checks i keep getting asked the same questions and asked to do the same tests with the same results.

I need some help......

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: broad band speed dropped after line fault

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Toppers
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Have done all this repeatly I spoke to a local engr I know he says it is either my profile or a wrong socket in the exchange not my equipment.  This would make sense as I keep saying the first engr moved my connection in the exchange  and did some thing else at the box on the high street.  Can you please check my profile

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

if you want help from this customer forum then you need to provide information otherwise it is pointless  whatever you have discussed with BT helpdesk is not available to members who are customers just like you

so need information

your profile is based on your conenction speed not the other way round so to get a better profile you need a faster conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Toppers
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

well some one has done something now as it is running as normal after days of not getting above 0.5 I am getting between 5.5 and 7 megs now ......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

great

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Toppers,

I'm glad to hear your connection has improved. When there is a line fault, this can impact the speed of the connection as the DLM will lower the connection speed in order to try and improve stability. Once the fault is repair the connection speed should recover by itself but this can take around 3 - 5 days as long as the connection remains stable.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Toppers
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

yes its since friday when he last came I was away yesterday so no idea if it was working i tried and tested it this morning all was good