cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deergo81
Message 1 of 8

broadband adsl speed troubling

Hello all,

Received my adsl bt (upto 17mb) package a few days ago.  I'm very troubled by the poor speed, I've tried wired and wireless connection and it appears to drop out very often (few seconds at  a time).  In the evening at times it's difficult to even use spotify on a laptop because it's so slow.

Interestingly soon as I open up the http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/  page and run a test, things improve for a around 20 to 30 minutes.  I don't know if this is me just being paranoid, I have started to log the incidents in the evening - it's unacceptable to advertise speeds of upto 17mb and then have such a poor download/upload speed.

I will be documenting this over the next couple of days.

Best wishes

slow_speed_13_02_2018.JPG

slow_speed_13_02_2018.JPG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: broadband adsl speed troubling

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Which BT home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
deergo81
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for such a prompt reply, I've just tried the link you provided and this is what came up (I have edited my number out):

speed_i_should_be_getting.JPG

I tried 17070, line was clear, chose option 2 and there were no announcements.

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you have a hh6 can you go to advanced settings then technical log information and post stats

are you using the test socket with a new filter to eliminate internal wiring 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
deergo81
Message 5 of 8

Thank imjolly for your reply, I don't even know what a hh6 is, I'm assuming it stands for home hub 6? just checked the back of the modem/router and it appers to be home hub 4.0.   

I think it's supposed to be 10 days before I can officially complain, if this continues I certainly will be requesting an early cancellation.  I just wanted a stable connection, not so bothered about the speed - if it was betweeo 3 to 5 Mb I'd be more than happy but it's no where near that and worse it repeatedly breaks up.  

It's only me using the connection and I'm using spotify and a web browser to do some research - I can't even do that!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

You can find the stats here

You may be able to gain a little more information from the event log, such as the SNR Margin, shortly after a resync.

Troubleshooting >
Event Log >
Category 'WAN'

Are you using the test socket with with a new filter to eliminate internal wiring problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Take a look at this page, as it deals with speed issues and cancellation.

Complaints about slow broadband speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

You can see from checker results that fibre is available to you with the estimated connection speed of 80/64mb

0 Ratings