Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rfc59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

broadband connection drops when a phone call is received

Hi

I am new to this forum so please let me know if I don't supply all the necessary information.

For a couple of months now we have had a consistent problem with the broadband connection dropping when an incoming phone call is received, prior to this it had been fine for a long time.  After making the normal user checks, as recommended by BT, the problem persisted.  A BT engineer visited my house and was able to reproduce the fault at the master socket.  He traced the line back, via the manholes under the street to a connection box outside the village.  After working hard for four hours he seemed to have fixed the fault and was able to demonstrate streaming video uninteruppted by an incoming call.  He told me that he had solved the problem by re-routing the line, he also replaced the mark 2 router with a mark 3 router.  Twenty four hours later the problem returned and is again absolutely consistent - even with just the router connected to the master socket the broadband light will go out when an incoming call is received.  On phoning the helpline I was told that there was a problem at the exchange, which should be fixed within 24 hours, but it wasn't and I didn't hear back.  Further investigation showed that both of these issues had been marked as resolved.  We are a long way from the exchange and have had a history of problems with both the line itself and the exchange.  In the past the hard working BT engineers have always managed to get things sorted out when they have visited.

This time I am struggling, as I can't seem to find the right approach to BT to persuade them to build on the work that the engineer who came out so recently did - I always seem to end up describing the problem from the beginning and then being told that it is my internal wiring that is at fault, nobody will acknowledge any of the work that has been done by the engineer that visited or the person that approached the exchange.

Sorry for such a long post, but it is very frustrating - I have considered changing the phone number so that nobody can make any incoming calls, but then I would have no phone!!

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: broadband connection drops when a phone call is received

All you can do at this time is to report the fault back to
BT faults on 151 you sound like you have an intermittent HIGH RESISTANCE JOINT which could be difficult to find
0 Ratings
lee_fife2005
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Any idea if your exchange has been updated to 21cn ( up to 20meg ) Just curious as a town i work in is very far out from the local exchange and we have a lot of people complaining about the same thing, it's even had us engineers scratching our heads as we have basically changed equipment in exchanges and also the line from exchange to master socket. This has happened ever since the exchange was updated to 21cn.
0 Ratings
rfc59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Thank you for your advice John - I'll try to be patient and keep reporting it, as you suggest.

Regards

Richard

0 Ratings
rfc59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Thanks for your reply Lee.  I don't know if the exchange has been updated, I am fairly sure that it is the Alvaston exchange.  Do you know if there is a way of checking the details for the exchange?

Regards

Richard

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

hi rfc56 you can try this link then post back the results we can then tell you however it really follows the symptoms of a high resistance joint
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

0 Ratings
rfc59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Hi John

Thank you for your very prompt response.  Clicking on that link does not show up any problems in my area or with my line.  I have limited technical knowledge, but what you say about high resistance does fit the facts.  We have had a lot of problems over the years, most of which have been traced back to faults between the box at the edge of the villagae and our house - we have had the line replaced more than once, although I'm not exactly sure what that involved.  In the past the fault that recurred was very slow speed and dropping of the broadband connection, this is different now in that the speed is actually now quite good for our area, but the connection drops when a phone call is made or received.  I did have the fault logged with BT, but it has now disappeared from "track faults" without being resolved.

When everything is working it is a very good service.  My friend in an isolated village in North Wales had BT broadband as soon as his local exchange was enabled.  It has provided faultless service ever since, at a higher speed than I can get on the outskirts of a major city.

Thanks for the support, it has made me feel much less isolated - I'll keep reporting it.

Regards

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 27

means the two wires which provide your telephone/broadband are connecting with each other and causing a loop. Try running the modem and phone from different sockets, but also log as a fault with Openreach engineers, they will fix it if its outside of your property
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

If you continue to have problems or BT faults say the line is ok please post back ad we will put you in contact with the forum mods who can take over the fault over and take personal ownership of the fault until it is resolved
0 Ratings
rfc59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Thanks John - that sounds very encouraging.  I'm away now, until the weekend, when I'll test it again and take it from there as you suggest.  I'll post again at the weekend to give an update.

Regards

Richard

0 Ratings