cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

'broadband' very slow / periodically drops

Go to solution

I live in central london - SE1 - Borough market.

My BT 'broadband' speed is 3-4mbps if I'm lucky - we often find that we're unable to connect to the internet - and also see much slower line rates (using BT speed checker app) during peak times.

We've escalated this issue to BT a couple of times - and have another engineer visit scheduled.

Curious if we can realistically expect anything better than this given that it appears that connectivity is copper all the way to the exchange?

Thanks!

My router connection status is as below:-

Connection status:

Connection type:

Broadband (DSL)

Downstream sync speed:

4.19 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

408.00 kbps

Network uptime:

4 Days, 3 Hours 56 Minutes

Broadband IP address:

Default gateway:

Primary DNS:

Secondary DNS:

System uptime:

4 Days, 3 Hours 58 Minutes

Serial number:

+084316+NQ90746273

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E079

Firmware updated:

23-Jul-2022

BT Wi-fi status:

Active

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: 'broadband' very slow / periodically drops

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.48.54 PM.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

At first glance your stats suggest you are on adslmax instead of the faster adsl2/2+.

Are. You using the master socket ? Is it filtered socket or using a separate filter?  Have you tried using the rest socket with a filter?  

Try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you so much for you reply.

My router is plugged directly into the master socket - which is a 'master socket 5c' MK4 - would you recommend trying a filter with this?

Unfortunately I don't have a phone at hand to try a quiet line test at the moment - but will see if I can borrow one / buy a cheap handset.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

The front of the master sometimes causes problems by not fitting correctly o you could remove it and try connecting to test socket with a filter to see if that helps 

Is it possible you are still on adslmax?  Is up speed 488kbps not 408?

Which hub version are you using?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

BT engineer came out and ordered a replacement hub.

New hub has arrived - plugged in and set up - seeing exactly same issues 😞

Currently have sporadic connectivity - running the speed test on the BT app result in a mixture of 'unfortunately the speed test failed' and 'speed to your hub 1.2Mb Download' '0Mb Upload'

Totally fed up with this rubbish.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @thebungler and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection. Can you just confirm how are you connecting? Is it wireless or wired?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for you response.

Just to provide an update - the openreach engineer traced a fault to the 'distribution box' in my building.

Unfortunately the box is not in a readily accessible location - and the engineer was unable to access it on the day he came out - the box is in a private location with restricted hours of access.

I got a (unexpected) call from another open reach engineer this morning to say that he'd picked up the job from his colleague - and that he was on his way over - however he didn't show up - and his phone went straight through to voicemail.

The saga continues ... 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back @thebungler .

If this hasn't been sorted I'll be happy to take a look for you. I'll drop you over a private message now if you need to get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @thebungler ,

Thanks for sending over the details. I can see @RobbieMac picked this up and everything is now in order. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings