Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
zinnia48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

broadband was 4mb now between 0.5 and 1.0

Go to solution

My broadband speed for months was between 3 and 4 mb download speed , it has now changed to between 0.5 and 1.0, help desk unhelpful, hopefully someone here will have some real technical answers. Looking at previous posts have the following info

master socket has two sockets, so no splitter

info from bt home hub 4

DSL Noise margin 5.50db downstream, 5.60db upstream

DSL line rate 44kbs upstream, 4447kbs downstream

basic download speed from bt speedtest is 1.07mb

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.07 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.04 Mbps

info from adsl line stats says 1-3 mb

no noise on line

Bt seems to think that i am receiving 4mb, router stats seem to confirm that, but only receiving 1mb

Can anyone suggest any solutions, or looking at other posts shpould i just be thankful for even getting a connection?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: broadband was 4mb now between 0.5 and 1.0

Go to solution
Wired or wireless speedtest?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
zinnia48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

wired speedtest

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
your download speed will vary over a 24hr period dependant on general internet activity
0 Ratings
zinnia48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
I'm sorry but whilst there may be a very small reduction in download speed over certain periods, definetley not from 4 to 1mb
Also i have monitored the download speed from early morning til late at night, and it is consistently slow.
I was hoping for a more informed technical answer
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
the reduction of download speed in that case sounds like possible exchange congestion which is out side BT Retails (your providers ) control and is dealt with by BT Wholesale this problem will be affecting all ISP's using your exchange BT Wholesale will be aware of the problem and a fix will be planned unfortunately details of when are not supplied to BT Retail and all that can be done is wait I am afraid

the 4.4 Mbps BT refer to is your connection speed as is shown in your hub stats and the speed test also shows your IP Profile as also being correct
0 Ratings
zinnia48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
I had to read your reply several times, basically like me you havent a clue why i am getting slow diwnload speeds.
There are a lot of i think in your reply, the set up between bt retail and wholesale is like something from monty python, if it wasnt important it would be funny

Basically you are saying i have to put up and shut up
The fuñny thing is if i go outside and use my bt mobile i can get 4-6mb, however as bt is being restrictive they dont allow tethering,even tho i am payinv for a set download allowance
0 Ratings
zinnia48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
congestion is the only thing that could be causing your problem you have called the help line and they have said that your connection speed is correct all the help line can do is send out an Openreach engineer who will find no problem with the connection and you are likely to be charged for a wasted visit
0 Ratings
zinnia48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

If congestion is the problem, how does the customer get some action to correct it, as you say there is no responsibility on eithrer parts of bt to talk to each other. Also maybe you can explain why other people in my street, not all bt users, served from the same exchange, st ives cambridgeshire are not suffering the same reduction in service, strange that!!!

Maybe a moderator may like to look into my case

0 Ratings