Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfrice
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

bt line box broadband speed issues

Go to solution

At the test socket on my bt line box I am getting 4.5 Mb/s speed.

At the linebox faceplate outer socket I get 2.0 Mb/s, a speed drop of 2.5 on the faceplate itself. Can anyone explain why this could happen please ? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: bt line box broadband speed issues

Go to solution

Faulty faceplate or internal wiring problems - any extension wiring connected to back of front plate?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @jfrice,

@imjolly is correct. This sounds like a faulty face plate. Have you managed to get a replacement? Can you let us know how you're getting on?

Cheers

David

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Hi.
As Imjolly suggests if there is wiring attached to the front plate then that would be the problem.
Very unlikely to be a front plate problem.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @jfrice,

Did you replace the face plate and did it sort the problem. Can you let us know if you've managed to resolve this?

Cheers

David

jfrice
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Yes agree. Bought a replacement faceplate as well as a BT i filter which I only discovered existed by chance and this was developed by BT to filter out the bell wire signal at the line box itself which apparently interfears with the network downstream of the linebox and the result is to increase the broadband speed. The filter plugs in between the linebox backbox and the faceplate, no connections necessary.

Result without changing the old faceplate was surprising, the speed as measured at the broad band router went up from 1.462Mb/s to 3.815Mb/s an excellent result for £5.99 !!!

Having maintained this speed to date I am going to renew the faceplate next and see if a further improvement can be achieved. this maybe as good as it gets as I am getting 4.085 at the test socket so cant beat that anyway.

I would recommend anyone with speed issues to fit the BT Broadband i plate anyway. Check it out on Amazon. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

personally I would and did when on adsl just remove the bellwire from termianl 3 in all my sockets and that was better than the iplate.  still if it works for you that is all that counts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jfrice
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for your help
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Surprised those iPlates are still out there. All Openreach Branded NTEa's have Bell Wire Filters built in and the ones made in the past year or so have also had the Surge Protector removed as that also causes problems.

As a rule most Openreach Engineers, the broadband trained ones anyway don't generally connect the Bell Wire as a rule now unless the EU needs it, eg they have an old fashioned corded phone on a LJU...
0 Ratings