cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 54

Re: connection keeps dropping and bandwidth problem.

looking better but upstream still low at 256 instead of 448  reset was lucky and increased the connection speed dropping noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 12 of 54

much thx for the replies/help but

it did seem to improve but now its even worse?????? why has my profile been changed? i'm getting a little tired of this. i'll turn of the router again for a min or 2 and see what happens.

who has control of the IP profile? can that be changed by someone from the network team? i spoke to some guy called Arun, he was about as much use as a wet paper bag, it never went very well, why do they always have to try blame the problem it on something within my house when there is nothing wrong? now its the filter but i don't really see how it can be.

the way i have it set up is like in no.3 on the following link why do i need a micro filter i use a doubler the 1st socket has a filter on it which then goes to the downstair phone, the 2nd socket goes straight to the router upstairs (no filter) its worked fine this way for years! but Arun didn't seem to understand that and as far as he was concerned until i get another filter or connect the router to the 1st socket with the filter he can't do anything more, so i've hit a brick wall.

i've changed the picture to so how its setup, the reason it was done this way was because i never had a 10M ethernet cable handy.

mysetup.PNG

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.91 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5.95 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.26 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 02:37:26
Downstream5,952 Kbps
Upstream256 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.3 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)27.4 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)9.2 dBm / 0.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)100 / 236
CRC Errors (Down/Up)59 / 3
HEC Errors (Down/Up)140 / 5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)5 / 4

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 54

can you not just conenct the filter to the socket then phone  from pic router daoes not appear conencted to a filter

your profile is controlled by your speed so as your speed changes there is a different profile.  howver because you are on adslmax your profile has dropped due to a lower connection speed resulting in 2mb profile but your connection speed has now recovered to a higher figure the profile will increase but that can take 3/5 days stable connection

nobody has reset your profile frominformation posted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 14 of 54

thats correct the router is not connected to a filter only the phone is, it never has been in the 10 odd years that its been set up like this and i've never had a problem well once years ago but it was nothing to do with my end.

i could try and add the filter in some how but i'm not sure what cables i have lying around, but i don't really see how its going to improve the situation as never been needed before?

something else Arun didn't really like me asking him about what experience/technical qualifications he has, he kind of got all defensive, i think i was quite right in asking him about this, i like to know who i'm dealing with as i'm sick of speaking to people sitting in an indian call center that have no technical background and are just simply running through a script of some sort, i ain't daft.

i think its maybe time to move on if the situation does not improve.

something i'm wondering about though is if i do change ISP is the BT IP profile going to affect what speeds i can get via another ISP as it'll be using the same line anwyays?

thx.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 54

your router should be conencted to a filter - maybe you should try it as that is way everyone else connects and is how it is shown in all the diagrams in the link you posted

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 54

all phones and routers MUST be connected using filters it is a basic need
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 17 of 54

really, even if there was no phone connected and just the router.

as far as i'm aware the only reason for the filter is to stop the phone line interferring with the router, or u may have problems with the connection dropping when the phone is answered and/or when the phone reciever is replaced after the call, it may also cause some extra noise on the router line when the phone is actually being used.

the phone is currently using the filter so in away its doing what it should be and not interferring with the router signal even though the router isn't plugged into the filter directly, would be intersting to see a circuit diagram of the filter.

just like the test socket its practcally a hard wire to the outer socket apart from a small capacitor which is probably there to try smooth something out.

anyways i've ordered a RJ11 male to BT female plug telephone cable connector so i can plug the router straight into the filter, personally i don't think it'll make much difference or improve my current situation but u never know lol

think i'll do a little more reasearch tonight when i get some time.

shall update the thread as things progress.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 54

may have been better and easier to get a longer shielded rj11 cable to go from filter to router  like this  belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 19 of 54

yes i may order a shielded cable as i'm not to happy about having 2 adapters on the router line.

but, can anybody tell me why i need the filter now when i haven't needed one in the past?

u see thats what i just don't get, all that time the connection has worked fine without the need of a filter on the router line, i've never had a problem with my router dropping connection, download speeds or pings to Quake Live gaming servers before.

i honestly do not think adding the filter into the ADSL line will make a much of a difference, but i will and we shall see, its probably going to be about as effective as running AV software lol 😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 54

microfilter.jpgthat is why the filter has two sockets on it one for the phone and one for the home hub /router

0 Ratings