cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 54

Re: connection keeps dropping and bandwidth problem.

I think filters are fitted to filter the lower frequencies so the phone works ok and the adsl side is pass through but fitting a filter will also "terminate"  your ADSL line properly by ensuring that data is not reflected back down the phone line which could cause connection problems

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitters.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 32 of 54

yer basically they're used to try keep the 2 signals serperate, so one doesn't interfere with the other or u may have some sort of sync/speeds issues.

well it does seem like things are improving, my uptime is currently:

Line stateConnected
Connection time1 days, 00:59:59
Downstream5,696 Kbps
Upstream256 Kbps

what does the downstream figure of 5,696 Kbps actually mean?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 54

That is the speed you are connecting to the DSLAM /MSAN at the exchange
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 34 of 54

and that figure is determined when the router connects to the DSLAM /MSAN at the exchange after a reset/re-connection, it's quite interesting that the exchange can force a re-connection.

u learn something new every day lol

thx for your replies imjolly and john by the way 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 54

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results.  this will show profile which controls your download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 54

the exchange equipment triggers a reset if line noise or errors change like wise you can trigger a reset by restarting your router
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 37 of 54

well no resets while i was sleeping, only the manual one i just done for the performance test, the results are as follows:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.75 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps

a couple of questions, my max achievable speed/acceptable range of speed is 0.6 - 7.15, shouldn't this be 0.6 - 8.**?

beforehand my maximum download speeds were around 840kb/s.

take it the IP profile will increase over the next few days if the connection remains stable?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 54

you profile is set by your conenction speed so it will only increase if your conenction speed increases 

check profile

7.15mb is highest profile you can get on adslmax

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 54

no an 8mb connection will have a maximum IP profile of 7.150 mb this is to allow for line data overheads and your IP Profile is set by your connection speed and will only change if your connection speed goes up or down
this link explains about IP Profiles http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_v_sync
0 Ratings
johnboyjoe
Contributor
Message 40 of 54

thx for the links guys, i've not got time to read them at the moment but will do shortly.

hmmm why is my IP profile not 7.150 mb then, if was achieving 8mb connection speeds beforehand?

0 Ratings