cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MD74
Message 1 of 8

copper line test request

How do I request BT residential to run a copper line test?

BT Troubleshooting does not provide option for this.

The reason for this request is that my broadband speed has intermittent disconnects and also speed reduced to 1mbps.

My BB provider has asked for telephone provider, in this case BT, to complete a Copper Line Test.

Is there anyone on this board from BT that can help?

Thanks

MD

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: copper line test request

Do you have solus line and broadband, where you're paying one company to provide the phone service and another company provides the broadband ?

0 Ratings
MD74
Message 3 of 8

Hi Richie - thanks for quick response.

Yes phone line with BT and broadband with Plusnet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

That is unlikely. Your package is with plus net so you pay them fir your broadband and phone all in one package. The phone line belongs to openreach not Bt Retail You need to go back to plusnet and get then to sort it via openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 8

You can ring 151 and report a fault but if you mention broadband they'll refer you to Plusnet, have you thought about picking one over the other ? It'll make life much easier when trying to resolve a fault and most likely work out cheaper for you, solus products come with very little discounts compared to a bundle.

If you were to ring BT they would still see you as a new broadband customer, just call up and ask for a price to add broadband and do the same with Plusnet

0 Ratings
MD74
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your suggestion.

Just to confirm I subscribe to BT for phone line (calls) and Plusnet for only broadband.

I am actually not on fibre yet but planning to move over but I wanted to try and rectify this problem - in case I still exhibit similar issue on fibre.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
MD74
Message 7 of 8

Yes my intention is to switch one provide for both phone+bb and to fibre.

I just wanted this problem to be rectified now before I switch, in case it still persists.

I did start with this issue with plusnet and they have been helpful - they were not able to complete a copper line test as the phoneline is with BT and hence requested I go to BT to get copper line test done.

Plusnet advised that they will look further if the copper line test is showing no problems.

I did just did a BT Live Chat with support and they said no issue with the line though they were not able to provide results/evidence of the coppoer line test - this would have been very useful to go back to Plusnet with.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

You can test your own line via the BT website (using your BT ID) , or you could call them with a spurious 'fault' (saying ,  'my line is occasionally noisy' for example) but chances are the 'line test' will be fine and if you persue it with BT to an Openreach engineering visit and the line is defect free , then you will probably get charged for an unneccesary callout.
TBH if it's a broadband issue , then your broadband provider should investigate it , not by asking you to make up story's to your landline provider to get them involved, if you genuinely have a telephony problem, report that to them.

0 Ratings