Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiredbella
Contributor
Message 1 of 76

downloading hub4 dsl margin and dsl line stats for numpties

Hello

We recently had (and may yet still have) download issues.  We live in a rural area 1 mile from exchange and in July  experienced a drop in download speeds usually to 0.2.  Two hubs and endless calls with India later, I thought the download speed had stabilised to around 4 (which we would be happy with).  However, early am it can be as high as 7, mid afternoon around 4 and by evening can drop to the 0.4 mark.  I appreciate there is variance, but wonder at the drop in the evening.  As I say new hub 4, our adsl is a v1.0 mastersocket installed by a BT engineer.  We  use bt wholesale performance test every day. 

I have followed the instructions to get the hub stats but when I get to the logs I do't see anything remotely saying DSL margin or DSL Line.  What, or where am i going wrong?  I am a complete numpty at this so your patience is appreciated.

Kind regards

TiredBella

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
75 REPLIES 75
Highlighted
TB
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 76

Re: downloading hub4 dsl margin and dsl line stats for numpties

Click Catagory >Select WAN

snapshot111.png

Look for DSL!!!!!!!

snapshot112.png

tiredbella
Contributor
Message 3 of 76

Thanks for swift response.  Have gone to that WAN page and the latest date for figures is 29th July - does that mean I no longer have WAN or I no longer have drop problems?

WAN.jpg

0 Ratings
TB
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 76

The latter, is likely.....is there showing the last time in went down & what are the stats between down & up

.Should be a couple of pages worth of logs

should look like this;

09:27:51, 06 Aug.(1137565.160000) DSL is up
09:27:49, 06 Aug.(1137563.310000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
09:27:48, 06 Aug.(1137562.390000) DSL line rate: 1156 Kbps upstream, 7678 Kbps downstream
09:27:27, 06 Aug.(1137541.500000) DSL is down after 176 minutes uptime
bla bla bla 

snapshot114.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 76

if the last date is 29/7 for you stats then that means that was last tme your router dropped internet connection and if you check the hh4 the connection time should bear that out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tiredbella
Contributor
Message 6 of 76

Hello

Thanks for getting back..  HOw do I check the HH4.  If it is the case that no drop has occured since that July date, what would account or the huge drop in download speed in the evening?  We don't have TV and don't watch anything live, so at the most it is rootly pootly round facebook etc.,

Cheers

Tiredbella

0 Ratings
TB
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 76

Without knowing details, all it suggests is an/other device/s using b'width ? yeah !out of my depth here...over to regular Distinguished Sages

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 76

is there anything listed here as a problem for your exchnage  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tiredbella
Contributor
Message 9 of 76

Hello DM (and thank you for your help Aspiring Smiley Happy

No reported outages. 

And as someone with v limited understanding skills of this, I thank you for your help.  I am still unsure as to why the speed would drop so dramatically of an evening - would other households all sudenly logging on (thinking many teenage kids in the area) affect the speed in the evening - or is it that pesky badger? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 76

it could be exchange congestion which gives a good/normal download speed during the day but download speed slows down at peak times only to recover the next again morning

run btspeedtester and when the first test completes then run the diagnostic test and post the results  test MUST be done with a wired conenction not wireless

btspeedtester

0 Ratings