cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

how can i find out when i will be able to get fibre optic broadband?

Hi

I moved into new home 2 months ago, which only had copper line broadband available.  The connection is terrible, impossibly slow at times and seems to drop out a lot.  I was told they would be updating the Box (or whatever you call the unit at the end of the street, that is at full capacity at the moment) within the next 3 months and that as I signed up to BT, I would be top of the waiting list for the next available fibre optic broadband.  How can I find out when/if this is going to happen & what are my real chances of getting fibre optic in the near future.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: how can i find out when i will be able to get fibre optic broadband?

@cl8 

Enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Its Openreach not BT Retail who would update the cabinet capacity.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Exchange LANCING is served by Cabinet 8
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

6749.9201745.4Waiting listWaiting list--
65.347.6201540.7Waiting listWaiting list--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 6--4 to 8AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 6Up to 14 to 8AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 5--3.5 to 7.5AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailableYes
2----Available----
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
--
--
--
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Oct 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Have up loaded info, which means nothing to me, apart from it says waiting list.  Is there any way I can find out from open reach when there will be more capacity available?

thank you

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@cl8 wrote:

Have up loaded info, which means nothing to me, apart from it says waiting list.  Is there any way I can find out from open reach when there will be more capacity available?

thank you

There is no way of knowing, all you can do is to keep checking the page, and when there is space, place your upgrade order with BT.

Message 6 of 12

@cl8 

If your connection is dropping out on an ADSL connection, then it will still drop out on an FTTC connection, only much worse.

I would suspect that you have a problem with a noisy phone line, if your ADSL connection is dropping, as it should be a steady connection of about 8Mbs.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Message 7 of 12

Thanks for that info.  I don't have a landline phone i can plug in, is there any other way to find out?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

is there no way I can register for upgrade/availability now so that it happens automatically?  Or is there any way i can contact Open reach to find out when they will be upgrading?  I was told by BT when i signed up that this would happen in the next 3 months.  If this isn't the case, was I mis-sold my broadband package by BT?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

as it is openreach who decide if and when a cab will get additional connections the BT would jus be able to give you there best estimate of likely upgrade timescale.  as there are no notes after dslchecker regarding upgrading cabinet it suggests not happening soon

there is no waiting list that you can add your name to just a matter of continually checking to see if says available

only way to test for quiet line is with landline

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 12

@cl8 wrote:

Thanks for that info.  I don't have a landline phone i can plug in, is there any other way to find out?

A noisy phone line is normally the problem.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings