protuberance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 264

Re: latest garbage from BT support - the "fault threshold" get-out

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:
No link but op can use google. Depends which hub as i think it is only 3a not b

Still be better if connected to test socket an eliminate all internal wiring

Thanks. The RouterStats website indicates "Hopefully fixed bug - now works with HH3 Type A and Type B"

Agree on the test socket here. This line needs to get back to basics ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 112 of 264

Go to solution

if there is a phone cable running underneath the laminate flooring then that would not be done by an openreach engineer and this could easily be the problem with just wear and gives connection problems when you walk over the floor.

I keep repeating that you need to connect to test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 113 of 264

Go to solution

And I keep repeating that I need someone to show me how to do it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 114 of 264

Go to solution

it will be the first socket in your home where the bt wires enter and will look like this test socket.jpg

once found detach bottom half as shown then conenct a filter to test socket and then router to filter then pc to router using existing cables.  once done post new stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
protuberance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 115 of 264

Go to solution

Given that you have mentioned that you don't have micro-filters plugged into your line, it sounds like you might have a fully-fitted filter.

Does your master socket look like the one posted by imjolly?

Or perhaps it looks like one of these:

adsl_filter_options.jpg

It could even look like this one (but probably doesn't:

fttc-filter.jpg

Which of those pictures looks most like the current master socket?

And (an obvious follow-up) where do you plug the router/modem into? Is it at the master, or an extension socket? If an extension, what does this look like?

0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 116 of 264

Go to solution

Thank you for both of those replies - they are very useful indeed, and will be most helpful. In the meantime let me just post some quite dramatic stats, and note that our house has been empty since Friday night. I have returned - in the last hour - to find a ten-fold increase in my broadband speed. I must also state that I have NOT connected the new router i.e. the new Home Hub. Not because I do not want to - just merely because I have not yet had time. Further more, I have NOT connected directly to the test socket. Rather, all I have done is walk in through the front door and fire my laptop up - which I had taken with me, and have been using at another address some hundreds of miles away.

What has changed? What has caused the line speed to increase? Why do my stats show that the connection has only been established for over one single day? I have no idea - but here they are:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days, 16:02:43
Downstream:3.281 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.7 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.8 dB / 29.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):628558 / 14
CRC Events (Down/Up):477 / 19
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):5914 / 9
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):10672 / 2768

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 117 of 264

Go to solution

I should of course also have noted that my (old) Home Hub was left *ON* all the time whilst we were away. In other words *NOTHING* has been changed here.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 118 of 264

Go to solution

that could also suggest there is a problem with the cable under the laminate ( assuming there is one) which only happens when soneone walks over the top of it

0 Ratings
Highlighted
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 119 of 264

Go to solution

Ok - I realise the laminate flooring gambit offers a tantalising prospect in all this but may I just make one observation along the way, before I start destroying my hallway? It is merely this. That last night we were without the internet for a good couple of hours - between approximately half nine and...well, I don't know because I gave up waiting for it to re-established. But it was as though the Hub could not connect to the internet. I haven't experienced such a total i.e. complete break in internet connection like that before. Normally the speed just dips to about half a meg - but this was zilch, zero, nada, bupkiss.

However the interesting thing is that if you look at my stats they do not register this break in connection and are still showing that there's been a connection for the past two days. So I don't know what that means? Does that point the finger more firmly in one direction or the other? I can barely tell any more.

Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 04:13:34
Downstream:3.281 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.2 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.8 dB / 29.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):745998 / 14
CRC Events (Down/Up):485 / 19
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):6008 / 9
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):10678 / 2768
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 120 of 264

Go to solution

Btw, I have to say in passing that 3.28mbs is an unprecedented burst of speed. I mean really - that's phenomenal. It's bridge of the Enterprise, interstellar overdrive type of stuff. I would be absolutely amazed if that can be sustained.

Regardless, I have some questions. Let's play with the idea that the cable is damaged beneath the laminate flooring. Would this also cause a breakdown in my telephone connection? And if not, why? Secondly, if the cable beneath the flooring is worn, how is the line speed now at this present moment faster than it's ever been before? I think I can understand how a faulty cable can cause slow speeds - but I can't quite grasp how the speed can then suddenly become faster than ever before.

If we think of an electrical current supplying power to a bedside light, an intermittent fault in the light's wiring would result in the light being on sometimes, and off at others - depending on what external movement prevents (or ensures) the relevant wires are in the correct place. However, no matter how the wires were positioned they would not make the light suddenly get brighter. And yet with my internet connection this is what seems to have happened. My speed - being over 3.0mbs - is inconceivably and unfathomably fast all of a sudden.

0 Ratings