Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 161 of 264

Re: latest garbage from BT support - the "fault threshold" get-out

Go to solution

from your stats your conenction has been stable and connected for 7+ days so don't know what happened at 8pm but it did  not drop conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 162 of 264

Go to solution

Everything's gone pear-shaped again. Speed suddenly slumped today.

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 08:31:23
Downstream:160 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):21.6 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.8 dB / 29.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):3681 / 13
CRC Events (Down/Up):78 / 14
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):93 / 16
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):1684 / 917
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 163 of 264

Go to solution
Unfortunately back to square one

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
protuberance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 164 of 264

Go to solution

Seriously, trevor_machine, you need to stop being happy when you get 1Mbps. The fault continues to exist, and is just sitting waiting to bite you again.

One day, it will fail completely, and you won't be able to do any business at all. 

Please, focus on getting it fixed while you still have options open!

On a practical front - just reboot that modem. It is set to a very low sync speed (160Kbps), but the noise margin (21.6dB) indicates that the fault isn't entirely present. A reboot will regain some sync speed - and, in time, will give you some throughput back. There's no need for you to sit there with the modem sync'ed at 160Kbps.

trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 165 of 264

Go to solution

Once again, thanks protuberance. Much appreciated.

Needless to say I am working to get this rememdied. I have made an appointment for an engineer to call next week. In the mean time I'll reset the hub.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 166 of 264

Go to solution

Update -

OR engineer called on Tuesday. He rejected the notion that the laminate flooring was the cause almost before he'd even walked through the door. I asked him how he could be so emphatic and was told that his tester had already located at least one fault in the line. I questioned him as to why previous engineers had not found this problem and he said they probably found some other fault and remedied that. I asked why - having repaired one fault - they did not conduct a final test before leaving, and locate any remaining faults. I can't remember what he said to that.

Anyway, I'm still on 0.1mbs here (despite resetting my Hub about 10 minutes ago). Although I was obtaining a fairly useable speed earlier in the week - more like 1.5mbs. Tbh, it's not at all stable and come and goes like the wind.

The engineer found what he said could be at least 3 faults with the cable to my house - he showed me on the cable tester, which displayed a linear graphic representing the line itself, from my property to the exchange. It showed - at several points - small peaks as a graph might do. These symbolise potential weak points in the line - and even possible breakages. The equipment is accurate to about 50m apparently - although the process of exact fault locating can be quite a protracted process. The engineer explained to me several jobs he'd presided over and it's evident that it can take quite some time.

At any rate, they will be installing temporary traffic lights up the road here as a consequence of having to rip the road up and begin what amount to serious excavations. Or so I'm informed.

Quite when all this will occur is anyone's guess.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
obiace
Contributor
Message 167 of 264

Go to solution

i have read about your problems and have experienced the same problems as you have and i thought i should at least give you a number that helped me a bit(problems went away for about 6-8 weeks). It is the number for the Communication Ombudsmen which is 0330 440 1614. If the problem has been like that and you have given BT 8 weeks to sort it and they cant, phone them up and explain situation and if you have paper work of speedtest results then you can send the info to them and they will deal with it for you. I  got back 3 months broadband charges and also recieved a letter of apology from them. at least i got my charges back but the letter of apology was some woman who wrote out and said "I apologise on behalf of BT"

0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 168 of 264

Go to solution

Hallelujah! Now then - that's precisely the kind of post I've been waiting for since I joined. I thank you, obiace. My list of complaints regarding British Telecom is a veritable litany. I am STILL paying £96 PER MONTH - primarily because I was poorly advised on the amount number of gigs I DL per month (despite my quite accurate description of the quantity and intensity of my internet use) - and then, well, you know how it goes. You use more than you say you would, and they absolutely cane you for going over the limit. Then whack your monthly amount up. 

Suffice to say I am EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED with British Telecom - the quality of provision has been absolutely disgraceful on numerous fronts, and I am still battling to gain a broadband speed of over 0.1mbs. It is driving me round the mother****ing bend.

If the subject of broadband provision comes up in conversation I take time to explain to people how singularly god-awful British Telecom have been - and indeed continue to be. And I will do everything I can to warn people away from this egregious company.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 169 of 264

Go to solution

Hi trevor_machine,

I have read your message before and know you were recommended to contact the mods.  Did they not manage to sort your problem.  I also know several people have queried the £96/month you say you are paying BT.  How on earth is it so high ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 170 of 264

Go to solution

Currently barely getting a tenth of a meg - jesus christ it's never ending is it? What a total crock this service is.

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:22:53
Downstream:160 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):25.9 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):49.9 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):14.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm