cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fantacap
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

"Internal Wiring" issue, any suggestions?

Morning ,

We have recently moved home , the download speed in our new place is generally 0.7Mbps which is practically unusable.

I had a lengthy conversation with BT technical help last night who did a line test and deemed that the line is fine, there is probably an internal issue of which BT are not responsible and to send a BT Engineer out would be £129..

Without turning into disgruntled consumer mode, i am still paying a monthly fee for an unusable service and not being offered much in the way of help.

I would switch to fibre optic if i could but when you do a home move they automatically renew your contract (excellent).

Does anyone have any suggestions to do with the internal wiring , i read somewhere that disconnecting the orange and white wires may help as they are not technically needed any more and can hamper connection speeds?

Might be worth trying or if there are any other options i can try?

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: "Internal Wiring" issue, any suggestions?

Have you got a master socket that you can remove the faceplate from?

Is so, remove it and connect the filter and router to the test socket and post up the connection stats from the router.

Can you also put your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up the results.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Fantacap
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi thank you for your response.

I have a test socket but i have a Home Hub 4  , how do it get the stats from this router?

The dsl checker results are below.

Thanks again for your help

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6.5--5.5 to 7.5Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6.5Up to 15.5 to 7.5Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--2.5 to 4.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available--------
Fixed Rate2 ----Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available------ 
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

As you are using a hub 4 locate these lines in the home hub 4 logs .

Lines should look like this

19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
Fantacap
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

18:37:14, 13 Mar.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=1920Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=12.7dB, Up=13.0dB

Hi thanks

is the above the line you need?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Suggest you get the internal wiring replaced from the main socket. Have a Google of telephone engineer, many ex telecoms engineers offering a rewire service.
Are you sure you need extension sockets? Plenty of other options like cordless phones and wifi extenders. You could just plug everything into the nsin socket
Having extension sockets could reduce the speed of your broadband.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Fantacap
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

There is only 1 other socket in the house and we don't have anything plugged into it.

There is a small box, in one of the rooms about 50mm by 30mm with BT on it, no sockets or anything. it has a cable coming out that has been cut, what might this be?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Could you manage without this socket?
Have you tried plugging into test point for a couple of days?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Fantacap
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Hi.
We don't need the upstairs socket, just the master with the HH plugged in. It's been plugged into the test socket for a few days, the above readings were taken with it in the test socket
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@Fantacap wrote:
18:37:14, 13 Mar. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=1920Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=12.7dB, Up=13.0dB

Hi thanks

is the above the line you need?

You are connected at 1.92Mbs, but the high noise margin would suggest that you have been restarting or disconnecting the home hub. This will be seen as a fault condition, and your speed will be reduced.

Please see this post, as it explains how to get back to the correct speed.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

0 Ratings