Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew_R
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

reoccurring broadband fault

Go to solution

My broadband regularly goes down, over three incidents I've had about four engineers out and each time they say it's the cable wearing and each time nothing gets done.

After the last time it went it took so long for it to be sorted I've put up with poor speeds and reconnection, but as I had a bit of time on my hands I had another go at raising a fault call.

Story so far (for this incident):

Raised a call on 31st May; reset IpProfile; didn't work.

Got phoned a few days later to be told is everything alright, no it's not.; heard nothing.

Phone a few days later, and they said they would keep an eye on it.

Phoned yesterday, and had to go through the whole; switch off router, reset, restart; funny old thing nope that didn't fix it...

This is why I didn't have the patience to call each month it fails and rains. Oh I should add, it only gets really bad, when it's windy and rains, so sure enough when the help desk call it's bright sunshine and no rain, so looks almost allright.

This is the underground cable that serves my house, there is no insulation left, there is gaffer tape to hold the strands together, the wire insulation is so bad that it crumbles when you touch it. The vintage of the cable is circa 1960. The telegraph pole it's on wobbles like a child learning how to skate for the first time, the only thing stopping it from going over is my hedge...

Click to see the worn Cable

So forum board members, what do i need to do to get this sorted once and for all?

I really don't have the time or enthusiasm to raise an incident call every month, each time I take a day off it costs me a day's leave.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: reoccurring broadband fault

Go to solution
the problem is with Openreach and only they can fix it all you can do is keep requesting engineers i am afraid can you hear any noise on your voice line
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Matthew_R
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi John, yep the quiet line test shows I have an angry hamster with a crisp packet origami obsession, but only when it's a bit windy and rainy....

Really it's always bad, I just wanted to know if theres a different route onthe than wasting a week out of every month for someone to come out.

It looks like I'll have to get a hands free kit for my phone and just get stuck in, phoning every month i think.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
until you get the problem solved your broadband problems will be ongoing
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

the problem with intermittent fault is getting engineer at time the fault is 'visible'  hopefully one of the engineer visit will coinside with a wet wind day

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Matthew_R
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I should add each time i get an engineer out they fix a connection fault normally in the run of cable that only looks after our house, that leads to the main run down the road.

That's why they've told me it's unlikely to get fixed, as it's only me connected to the bit of dodgy cable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Matthew_R,

If you need any help getting this sorted please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Matthew_R
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Neil, I sent an email.

Just had the call centre on and they are doing something at the exchange which will apparently sort all my problems with an application, this doesn't seem very realistic considering the fault is caused by old cabling and a wobbly pole...

I started out in August 2014 with plenty of patence and consideration, it's getting close to a year later and I've still got marginal broadband and still paying for everything, I orginally had BT Vision but had to give up on that too. Had there been an alternative provider I would have gone a long time ago. Once the year is up I will have paid around £600 and taken about £1,500 in holiday pay for a service which really is no better in performance than a £20 mobile phone contract for the amount we use it...

Regards,

Matt

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Matt,

It took a little while to sort this out but we got there in the end. I'm glad I was able to help with that.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings