Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

using own modem and router

Go to solution

Hi,

I've decided not to use the home hub 4 and to use my own modem equipments.

I was told that I only need to enter bthomehub@btbroadband.com as login name and password as password, then internet should work...

It is strange because the modem could get an IP from the DNS, but there's no internet connection.

I already followed the steps here: http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/258/~/can-i-use-my-own-broadband-modem-or-rou...

any ideas?

thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: using own modem and router

Go to solution

Have you tried leaving the password "blank" ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

My understanding is that the user name can by anything@btinternet.com (so bthomehub@btinternet.com works fine).

The password should be left blank, or 'BT' if your router will not take a blank password.  Otherwise the settings are the standard UK ones,

PPPoA

VC-based multiplexing

VPI = 0

VCI = 38

0 Ratings
Highlighted
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

thanks for your responses.

yes, I tried different login names and passwords. I knew they worked because the modem managed to detect the upstream and downstream speed, as well as the ip address, DNS server, etc...

I did a ping check through the modem and it said it worked... strangely, the ADSL loopback check was failed.

Other settings were UK default, ie. VC, PPPoA, 0,38... I am using a Zyxel P-660R-D1.

Key thing is I am using a separate modem and router, both of them are high quality equipment because i'll be setting up a server to do cloud storage. Also i prefer not to use all in one model-router coz I think separate equipments just work better.

So any ideas? Is there anything special about the Homehub that BT isnt telling us, whereas we need HH in order to get on internet??

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
are you setting up for ADSL or INFINITY
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@atsang wrote:

... So any ideas? Is there anything special about the Homehub that BT isnt telling us, whereas we need HH in order to get on internet??

Thanks

Your Zyxel is described as 

Zyxel P660R-D1 ADSL2+ Router

on the Dabs web site so I presume you are not trying to use it for Infinity (VDSL).  Dabs seem to think it is a router, not just a modem.  There is absolutely nothing special about a Home Hub for a BT connection.  Lots of BT clients use other routers.  

0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

its the normal ADSL2+ im talking about, not cable.

Yes, it has routing function, but also has bridging function to bypass the DHCP and anything to do with routing.

It has 1 LAN port anyway, so its designed for connecting to a router.

0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

i have a feeling it is to do with my login name?? I used this setup before at my other property, the login name was actually my name@btinternet.com, and not a generic login name...

I contacted BT and they told me to use MYBT login name and password... obvious that didnt work as well

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@atsang wrote:

its the normal ADSL2+ im talking about, not cable.

Yes, it has routing function, but also has bridging function to bypass the DHCP and anything to do with routing.

It has 1 LAN port anyway, so its designed for connecting to a router.

I bet if you operated it like a standard router and connected the one LAN output directly to your computer you would see that it is working fine and the issue is nothing to do with your password.  

I sometimes used the BT account credentials successfully on a router before I discovered the generic login.  So they will work as well. 

0 Ratings
gracecourt
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

<blockquote>My understanding is that the user name can by anything@btinternet.com (so bthomehub@btinternet.com works fine).</blockquote>

No... wrong domain.   It's btbroadband.com, not btinternet.com... you are confusing this with BT customer e-mail addresses.

0 Ratings