Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

wierd speed readings?

Hi,

I have a rural BB connection, the exchange was fairly recently updated to 21CN WBC (about 3-4 km away).  I use to get speeds about 2- possibly 3 mbps.  Now I appear to get a fairly decent speed of 4.7 -4.8, the line appears to be only capable of 1.2 - 4 and my profile is apparently set at 4.3

I always thought your profile was always greater than the actual speed you got?  Can anyone explaine this and also why I appearing to be getting an actual speed not only greater than my profile but greater than what the lines apparently capable of?

Oh, and the upsteram speed is about 0.82!

Can I actually get better speed if the profile wass increased further?  (please excuse any ignorance...!)

The line is fairly unstable and quite often disconnects every week or so.

Regards

Home Hub 2.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time5 days, 21:05:49
Downstream4,899 Kbps
Upstream955 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.3
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)3.4 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)45.5 dB / 26.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)57
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)207611 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)40607

BTspeed test

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 4.72 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.72 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.32 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.82 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.82Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: wierd speed readings?

Your profile is set by your connection speed and not the other way round. As you are on 21cn your profile is 88.2% of your connection speed

Your download speed should be lower than your profile but you do get odd glitches using wholesale speedtester

Your upstream connection speed is what i would expect for adsl2+

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

connection looks ok try the speedtest in 24 hours and see if your speed has set to less than the IP Profile as imjolly has posted the odd speedtest result does happen occasionally
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

My speed has always exceeded the IP profile since I had a replacement HH3A early May - tested daily ( only 5 times has it been lower - max over was 0.40mbps)

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 6 of 12

@john46 wrote:
connection looks ok try the speedtest in 24 hours and see if your speed has set to less than the IP Profile as imjolly has posted the odd speedtest result does happen occasionally

Hi john46,

As you know, my download speed has been higher than my IP Profile on every test since the BT Wholesale speed test replaced the old one on 13-1-13.  I still can't help feeling it returns higher figures just to delude customers ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

dfenceman wrote:

As you know, my download speed has been higher than my IP Profile on every test since the BT Wholesale speed test replaced the old one on 13-1-13.  I still can't help feeling it returns higher figures just to delude customers ?

Hmmm, if that's true I feel left out. My IP Profile is 39 down (against a max of 38!). BT's test shows 37; two other testers also show 37, though two more show 31 and 29. Up is consistent throughout at 8.

All those figures are via wireless and are rounded to the nearest whole.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
bridportjohn
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I would cry with joy for figure's like the OP's, and die for figures like pottyperson's. I'm only 2km from our ADSL2+ exchange!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Dfenceman
One thing to remember with your. Line is it seems to be behaving strangely by the fact it is giving adsl2+ upload whilst displaying a ADSL max connection so yes your results could be a reporting error and nothing to worry about this matter was raised earlier in your thread by RogerB and. I believe he made some suggestions as to its possible cause
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Hi john46,

You're spot, RogerB did make some suggestions as to why my download speed is always above my IP Profile but I can't remember what it was.  I was merely responding to the OP that, for whatever reason, these results do occur.

By the way, my connection is ADSL2 not ADSL2+.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings