Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 1 of 3

Beware: Scammers pretending to be from BT

Hi Everyone,

I have been made aware of a few scams currently trying to catch people out so I wanted to share some details so that you can protect yourself and avoid becoming a victim

There are 3 particular email scams whereby the scammers are pretending to be from BT.  I have some screenshots of these emails to share with you so if you see any of these arriving in your inbox, be aware, they are scams,

For more advice from BT in relation to scams, please read more from this link, Be aware of scams - What to look out for and how to spot a scam 

• Email coming from 'Broadband telecomms' with a subject title 'See our response to Covid-19.  

In the email, it states that BT has set up a coronavirus hub which houses information that will help support our customers.  There is a call for you to click on a link entitled 'My BT-Hub Protect'.  This is not a genuine site so if you come across this email please do not click on any links.  You can report this to BT by forwarding on the email to, phishing@bt.com.  Here is an example of what that email may look like,

Scam 1.png

•   Email coming from 'bt billing support' with a subject title of 'Your new bill'

This email claims to have reduced your BT bill and states a refund has been applied to your account, due to you being overcharged.  The scammer wants you to click on a link entitled, 'View your bill and refund here'.  This is not a BT site so please do not click on the link, report this to BT via phishing@bt.com.  Here is an example of this scam email

Scam 2.png

• Email coming from 'BT' with a subject title of 'BT Service update'

This email again takes the angle of Covid-19 to let you know that BT has decided to remove subscription charges for BT services.  There is a call to action whereby you are encouraged to click a link to confirm you want your BT services for free.  This is not a BT site so please do not click on the link, report this to BT via phishing@bt.com.  Here is an example of this scam email

scam 3.png

• Email from 'BTinternet IT helpdesk' titled 'important COVID-19 UPDATE for you'

Email states that new information has been updated for your local geographical area about COVID-19 testing.  The email request you click on a link to check if your area is included.  This is not a BT site so please do not click on the link, report this to BT via phishing@bt.com.  Here is an example of this scam email

Covid 19 scam.png

Remain vigilant, stay safe and on the lookout for scammers.

Cheers

Sean

2 REPLIES 2
SeanD
Message 2 of 3

Re: Beware: Scammers pretending to be from BT

Hi Everyone,

Another scam attempt has been identified.  This type the bad actors are purporting to be from BT email.  The scammers state that BT will be closing mailboxes from the 24th April and direct unsuspecting victims to click on a link to update your account.

Please be aware of this email as it is a scam.  You can report this to BT by forwarding on the email to, phishing@bt.com

Here is an example of what the email can look like

Covid email scam.png

SeanD
Message 3 of 3

Re: Beware: Scammers pretending to be from BT

Hi everyone,

I have been alerted to another scam whereby the scammers are trying to pass themselves off as BT.  I have an example of what of this dodgy email can look like, please see below, and remain vigilant

BT scam example.png

If you receive an email like this please do not click on the link in the email and please forward this to phishing@bt.com 

Cheers

Sean