cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

How to use this forum - very difficult to discover.

Go to solution

This forum is the most exasperating one I have ever been on. First of all when I go to the help page, I am told to post on the correct board. There seems to be no list of boards or any help as to how to find them. Ever heard of a linkk?

Most forums have an index of boards and you just pick the one thatyou want and then click on new post (if you have searched for a topic). Just looking at the html editor above - I had to search google to find out what a spoiler tag is. Been using html editors and writing them for years but never heard of such a thing before. Why would you want one on a forum such as this? Hiding swear words perhaps?

I fond this board by accident after looking around the forum for inspiration. Even the getting started pages look like they have been written by a programmer who designed it in the first place. As a  programmer since 1978 I have long experience with this silly mistake.

If you are going to set up a set of instructions on your new forum, then get someone who has never used a forum before to test it out. Then set up the help according to what he or she asks you.

No one has done this here.

It seems that this forum to help customers, set up by BT is about as hard to work as finding a way to contact BT. All that is wanted is to stop their employees from having to speak to customers, so they make access to contact them almost impossible.

May I suggest that next time they try to update their forum, instead of getting their staff to program it, just get one ready made off the web - like webwiz forums or similar. Just enter forum suppliers into google.

BT is always trying to re-invent the wheel, and as a result it has designed a new on - it has three sides.

Runs very smoothly indeed don't you think?

Now I am going to try to find the page where I can ask how to set up the latest BT Yahoo email on Outlook 2013 - something that BT refuses to help with, but which thousands of their customers wish to do and cannot, due to the total lack of correct info on their web site.

Have a better day than I have had all week!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: How to use this forum - very difficult to discover.

Go to solution

If I wanted to post something about setting up email in Outlook 2013, I think I'd go to the home page and hazard a guess that Email would be a good place to start.

I retired when computer technology was just taking hold in the workplace and at home, so never had any meaningful training in the field. I wouldn't know where to start with writing a program or an HTML editor. I have developed a working understanding of IT simply by researching anything new and trying to understand as far as my needs demand. I've never had any real problems with this forum (or any others for that matter); perhaps it's because they're subtly designed for dimwits like me and expect those in the know to cope using their more profound, built-in knowledge.

The BT staff you criticise for wonky programming of this forum are mythical. It's provided by Lithium, typical of the suppliers you suggest.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
worth noting there are many ISP's that use the same Lithium software Sky and Virgin just for two
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I've just found this forum and I can't see the 'boards' to post a message.

How do you do it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

@andrewmoore66

You seem to have found it now.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

How do I begin a thread? I have a BT problem but I can't start a question to seek help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

The home page has a list of services and subjects. Clicking one of them brings up the relevant boards. Click the appropriate board and then the New Message link above the list of posts.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
drifter
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

I must say that I tend to agree with the original post and hesitate on fear of being shot down that it is not the easiest of forums that I have come across and used before. That said I have used the bt forum to either search for an answer or ask a question and and I have on occasions found an answer.

The trouble is some providers don't go far enough to ask their users about their experience whether it be navigating around a website, completing a booking form or in this instance, a forum. I know of a web designer who are using a company to provide feedback to the client. It'sis quite simple where the member(s) from their panel of testers are videoed for their step by step comments.

Not all of us are technically savvy and at a certain age navigating through pages seeing an article and then trying to go back to it a short time after and unable to find where it was is very frustrating. By the way, the search engine is not much help.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @drifter,

When you sign into the Community Forums you should land on a welcome page.

We have a section which lets you see our top tips. It's very useful and should hopefully help you find the information you're looking for.

Getting Started!

Search for an answer to your question below or Check out our Top Tips
for making the most out of the BT Community.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hwalker1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@DanielS wrote:

Hi @drifter,

When you sign into the Community Forums you should land on a welcome page.

We have a section which lets you see our top tips. It's very useful and should hopefully help you find the information you're looking for.

Getting Started!

Search for an answer to your question below or Check out our Top Tips
for making the most out of the BT Community.

Thanks

DanielS

Well after being a telephone engineer with BT from 1958 to 1970 and having a BT line since about 1968, I finally made the decision to leave.

Bought myself a 4g router and a chip from 3.com. Add in a 7DB gain ariel and a short pole. Cost me a one off £180 including VOIP phone.

Now getting 28.5 meg instead of 1.96, 40 gig of downloads monthly and all my phone calls using VOIP.

Total cost abot £30 a month, (BT costs circa £48) always on line, no dead under ground or watefilled ducts, or call centres that don't speak English properly. (though they are always exceeding polite)
No overhed cables blocking my view.

So whether I access this forum or not is no longer relative.

Bye everyopne - nice knowing you all. Thanks for previous help - when I could find it.

Cat Very Happy

Tags (1)
0 Ratings