cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Is there a limit to the length of email addresses that can be used with BT Community?

When I registered with BT Community I did not receive a confirmation email, despite several retries and checking I'd typed it correctly. I did, however, notice that I was still receiving emails from other people.

Further retries the next day also failed to produce an email.

Today, in my profile I changed my email address from my usual one to my Gmail one and received an email immediately. Changing back to my preferred address failed to produce a response, but switching to Gmail succeeded.

My preferred email address has 32 characters, whereas my Gmail one has 20. Is this the reason?

Over the years I have had many organisations send emails for account verification and other purposes to my preferred email address without problem.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is there a limit to the length of email addresses that can be used with BT Community?

Just to be clear, I do not have BT email. This question is about email addresses supported by BT Community.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Is there a limit to the length of email addresses that can be used with BT Community?

I don't know if there is a max length but some characters may not be acceptable  do you use symbols in addition to alphanumeric

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

No, it just has letters, "-", "@" and "."
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

To be absolutely sure, you should not use the “-“ symbol, or if you do then it must not be repeated, such as “—“.

Similarly, don’t use “..” in the address.

One “.” Is ok as in @btinternet.com, or @“whatever.com”.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The user name consists of letters.

The domain name has one "-" and the "." characters separate the components.

I don't understand why you say I shouldn't use the "-" symbol. I've never met any problem with it before and RFC 5321 says that a Domain Name should

consist of a sequence of letters, digits, and
   hyphens drawn from the ASCII character set

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

You don't have to allow all the ASCII characters and BT HUB for an example does not accept all characters. Another example is gmail who do not allow "_"

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 9

The part I quoted does not say that all ASCII characters are allowed in domain names. It does say that domain names should only have  ASCII letters, digits and hyphens.  Not allowing underscore complies with this. Rejecting hyphens would not.

To return to my problem, I take it that no reason has been identified for BT Community to fail to work with my email.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 9 of 9

Good morning @PhilF2,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for highlighting the problem you are having with receiving the validation email to your prefered email address.  I am sorry for the hassle you have experienced in signing up.  The length of your prefered email address should not prevent you from receiving emails from Community.

I would like to raise a support ticket to my supplier and have them investigate why you cannot receive Community email to your preferred address.

Could you please drop me a private message and confirm the email address in which you are having a problem with.  Once I receive this I will get a case raised to find out what is going on.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings