cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: New Phony BT Website Scam

Hello Carlusha

Expert though you be, I am afraid I found your reply flippant. What on earth made you think I don't know how to access BT or Delia correctly? I had a problem for which I was was seeking help, of which you supplied none.

Happily it prompted another poster to report giving away her bank details, for which she received excellent advice: contact your bank and cancel that card. So some good came of this.

Message 12 of 22

Hello yorkspark

Thanks for your helpful advice.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Im guessing some advertising hosting website/cdn or whatever was to blame as this happened to me via one common uk website that I look at everyday.  Domains were all .xyz, added them to my router to block, seems to have got fixed quite quickly as I havent seen any alerts again today.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Hi

Thanks for that. Yes, this was .xyz. My next question: how do I tell my router to block? Step-by-step, please!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

I use a Draytek 3910, so cant help with standard issue routers.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

@JH2020wrote:

Hello Carlusha

Expert though you be, I am afraid I found your reply flippant. What on earth made you think I don't know how to access BT or Delia correctly? I had a problem for which I was was seeking help, of which you supplied none.

Happily it prompted another poster to report giving away her bank details, for which she received excellent advice: contact your bank and cancel that card. So some good came of this.

Apologies you found my reply to your post to be flippant. My attempt to lighten locked down moods then failed miserably.

Yes, I also provided help to the user providing her bank details.

Glad you found the help you required. Always access BT through, ideally, MyBT.

Stay safe, stay well.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

@Carlusha wrote:

My attempt to lighten locked down moods then failed miserably.

Not entirely, it made me chuckle. Delia's canary alla relegatione is delicious.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 18 of 22

@pottypersonwrote:

@Carlushawrote:

My attempt to lighten locked down moods then failed miserably.

Not entirely, it made me chuckle. Delia's canary alla relegatione is delicious.

Seems that  😂🤣 "canary alla relegatione"   🤣😂 will be the case unless this season is scrapped altogether.   

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 19 of 22

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting about this horrible scam, I am sorry but I missed this thread.

Just to confirm that BT Security has noticed an increase in reports of this particular scam ☹️  I created a thread which shows an example of how this pop up will present if you are a BT customer.  Unfortunately, this scam is relevant irrespective of which provider you are with so please spread the word with friends and family.  You can see an example of this scam here, Beware! Survey popup scam 

@Suzanne37 wrote:

I have also received a pop up claiming that I have won a prize. As it was BT questionnaire, I completed and give bank details. What do I do now? I am worried.

I am so sorry to hear that you were affected by this scam, it is very convincing.  Unfortunately, scammers are getting more and more sophisticated with their bad intentions.  I am glad you have contacted your bank and cancelled your card.  It might also be a good idea to run a virus scan on your device, clear your internet cache and cookies and check your browser extensions for anything you don't recognise.  Just to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

My Draytek 3910 runs with web content filters for Malware (and other nasty categories) which uses Cyren provider.  I also use Sophos Home Premium which is one of the best for Antivirus, Malware, Ransomware etc and neither of those stopped the pop-up (or website change), I dont know if clicking further would have triggered anything because I didnt try it, as I have seen this sort of thing before.

They do appear to all have the .xyz domain as I mentioned before, which can be blocked if you have a decent router with URL filtering.

Its like swimming with sharks!

0 Ratings