cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

New Phony BT Website Scam

Hello

I have a Mac and use Firefox. Just this morning this has started happening:

I  visit an innocent site (eg, Delia Smith Recipes). It is suddenly hijacked and a page looking to come from BT says I have won a prize. I don't!

Has anyone else had this? What to do about it, etc? Here is the URL (NOTE--DON'T CLICK unless you know what you are doing!:

I also have screen grab but don't know how to post it.

Generally, help!

Thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: New Phony BT Website Scam

The net is full of surprises and not all as delicious as Delia's recipes. BT's sites are better accessed starting at:

bt.com 

For those delicious recipes from Norwich City FC supporting Canary Delia :

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes 

Message 3 of 22

Unfortunately, macs are no longer impervious from attack and what you have is adware on your computer which is causing your annoying pop-ups.

You need to download malwarebytes and AdwCleaner, which is from malwarebytes and run the scans and it will clean off the offending software.

Also, i would run a scan from your anti-virus software. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

I have also received a pop up claiming that I have won a prize. As it was BT questionnaire, I completed and give bank details. What do I do now? I am worried.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Why would you need to give bank details for a free prize?

I would suggest you urgently contact your bank and cancel the card who's details you have passed to the world, and check online banking for any withdrawels. Don't dawdle, do it NOW

For anyone else, reading, bt have never and will never give away 'free gifts', its a virus scam.

Download malwarebytes and adwclean, and run scans to remove the virus!

Message 6 of 22

Thankyou. Its already taken the money £1.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

@Suzanne37wrote:

I have also received a pop up claiming that I have won a prize. As it was BT questionnaire, I completed and give bank details. What do I do now? I am worried.

You must phone your bank support - they are manned almost 24/7. The fact they have taken £1 is possibly to test your information was genuine. You need to place a stop against whoever took that £1 and do it now!

Message 8 of 22

@Suzanne37 As well as reporting this to your bank immediately I'd recommend you also report it to the police on the Action Fraud website.

Message 9 of 22

Thankyou. Cancelled my card.

Message 10 of 22

@Suzanne37 wrote:

Thankyou. Cancelled my card.

Many banks allow you to suspend or cancel cards using their online app.

0 Ratings