cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Phishing Attempt - contained valid account data

Go to solution

The type of email you have received has been circulating for years. It is not just BT customers who receive them nor is it only the BT ISP header that is used in the scam. Other ISPs also get named in the same type of email and or texts.

It has been put to BT in the past that their systems have been compromised and that it may be that some of their staff may be selling/using customers details for illegal purposes. This was denied.

I can not recall what the exact content of the denial was but it was along the lines of it being a coincidence.

Looking at the email you received if the scammer actually had your account details why wouldn't the scammer use your name in the email which would make it look more genuine and as in your email why would they tell you to use a Vodaphone app or call free from your Vodaphone mobile if they clearly know that you are a BT customer.

I also doubt that a human is actually sending out these emails, albeit that the program will have been set up and set to run by a human, they will be computer generated in their thousands if not millions and given that they only have to generate four random digits, they are bound to come up with the right numbers for some of the six million BT customers account at some point.

In any event, I am not hear to defend BT or any other ISP so I will look forward to hearing how you get on with your complaint.

Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@gg30340  Perhaps I should have made it clear I work in the industry and I know a lot on this subject/area.

If you wish to believe that multiple people getting an email on the same day with the correct last four characters of the account number on is luck/random then I suggest you go and get a lottery ticket, the odds are similar.

The person or system sending these may only have some details but they clearly have some BT data. It seems the BT mods/BT wish to bury their heads in the sand too on this one. I have given BT 5 working days to respond that ends tomorrow so the ICO will be asked.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

I don't believe one way or the other. I was just putting forward some information however as you have made it clear that you know a lot about this and the odds of winning the lottery I will happily bow out of this thread.

Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

@Adam_G & @RPendrigh I've just come across your thread this evening and can fully appreciate your concerns. I'd like to highlight this matter and will send you both a private message in a moment so you can send over your details. 

Thanks

Neil

Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

I have sent a reply to PM, hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

ta

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks @NeilO ,details sent in response to your private message.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

I've been forwarding these emails to BT (I've received several similar over the last few weeks) but never had a response of course.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

@NeilO - can you send a private message to  @judex  As well so you have the details from the three of us who have seen this issue?

0 Ratings