cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
queby3
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Sales call

My husband has just received a phone call from BT. Someone offering updates or something, usually £5 pm but he can have it for £2 pm. New router, etc., etc,. He was speaking at speed so my husband asked him to email or post the info, he'll have a look at it and decide. He said he couldn't do that. This is BT in the business of communication, right? 

The fact that they just want you to sign up for stuff on the phone without seeing the full info is bad enough....

If I was a sole account holder I would never get these offers as I'm deaf and struggle to use the phone. Assuming I managed somehow to answer and start speaking to the salesperson and asked them to send the information as I don't cope well with phone calls, would they still refuse? Isn't this discriminatory?

This is not the first time we have been called about this. Always ask for it in writing, always refused. Might have signed up for it if we were able to read it.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Sales call

Hi.

What number called you?

0 Ratings
queby3
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Our phone not clear when chcking calls. Looks like

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

@queby3wrote:

Our phone not clear when chcking calls. Looks like

A quick online search indicates this is a scam call - however scammers tend not to use the same number. This number has been reported as dodgy for years.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
queby3
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

That may have come in after the BT call. I will have to recheck the number. 

0 Ratings
queby3
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

The only other caller was

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@queby3 wrote:

This is not the first time we have been called about this. Always ask for it in writing, always refused. Might have signed up for it if we were able to read it.

You can put that right, or at least take a step in the right direction. Go to MyBT > Settings (top left) > Profile > Scroll down to Marketing Preferences > Edit out (bottom right) those you don't want.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
queby3
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

thank you. So is this number genuine?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

The mobile number you quoted in Message 6 is genuine and appears to be a private one. You might want to check it out by ringing back, but dial 141 first to withhold your own number in case it's someone you don't want to contact you again.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
queby3
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Not sure why someone from BT would make a sales call from a mobile phone!
0 Ratings