Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 8

Scam Awareness

Hi Everyone,

Scams Awareness Month takes place throughout July 2015 and is an annual opportunity for consumers to take a united stand against predatory practices that affect millions of people each year.

The aims of the campaign are to raising awareness of the extent of scams and the threat they pose to our finances and wellbeing, help people to recognise the tell-tale signs of a scam, via phone, online, mail or face to face and develop consumer confidence to take time to make the right decision.

The Citizen Advice Bureau (CAB) is running a campaign via Twitter and you can follow this by searching #scamaware

I thought it a good idea to share some very helpful links which each offer a wealth of information on scams and how to spot these so you don’t fall victim

BT Scam Pages – This section of BT.com has recently been revamped 

Action Fraud – You can report scams to action fraud via telephone on 0300 123 2040 or via this link  Report Fraud.  

A-Z of Scams - Action fraud also have an A-Z list of scams which is well worth a look 

Citizen Advice Bureau – CAB’s very own website offers a great deal of information

Think Jessica – If you think a vulnerable friend or relative is falling prey to scammers then this website can offer advice

Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) - 10 handy tips to help you avoid unauthorized investment firms

The Pension Regulator – advise on scam proofing your savings

Get Safe Online – There is a wealth of advice from this website

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
philbaldry
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Scam Awareness

Brilliant  BT could do to get their own house in order. Over the last couple of weeks I've had a number of phishing emails claiming to be from BT saying I need to verify my account details.

However everytime I try to report these to BT at "phishing@bt.com" as instucted in their web pages the message bounces back unable to access this mailbox.

0 Ratings
JBB
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Same problem with them bouncing back. Had 6 in the last 5 days.

0 Ratings
philbaldry
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

After chatting online with BT they suggested sending them to btsecurity@bt.com.

guess what that does mnot work either

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 8

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.  Really sorry you have been unable to report these phishing attempts.  I will highlight this issue to the team that looks after that email queue to find out whats going on.

I will update you as soon as possible.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
John-Jay
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I would also state that BT needs to get their house in order!

One of the current (& very nasty) scams involves a fraudster ringing up & pretending to be from your Bank (et al). They emphasise the need for Security & then suggest that the victim terminates the Call & then immediately rings back to the Bank on a "known" number. Of course the Fraudster hasn't not disconnected his end & simply "takes" the new call as if they are the Bank.

This works because BT has implemented a system where the incoming Caller controls the Line - even though I've paid the rental for MY Line, BT does NOT allow me to control it - surely I should be able to determine who can use the Line that I pay for?

I raised this query, with BT, more than a DECADE ago. I didn't get any satisfactory response then & I'm still waiting an explanation why they have designed the system to be scammer-friendly!

NOTE:- This is not just a Scammer issue, but a Safety one. My situation involved being legitimately contacted by a Company &, when the conversation finished, they didn't disconnect properly - leaving myself with a blocked-line! No access to phone, no access to Emergency Services etc!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 8

@philbaldry wrote:

Brilliant  BT could do to get their own house in order. Over the last couple of weeks I've had a number of phishing emails claiming to be from BT saying I need to verify my account details.

However everytime I try to report these to BT at "phishing@bt.com" as instucted in their web pages the message bounces back unable to access this mailbox.

Hi Guys,

I have an update on the issue of email's being bounced when emailing phishing@bt.com & abuse@bt.com.  This has been investigated and new rules have been applied which means that this should no longer be a problem.  If you notice that your email to either of these addresses are bouncing please post back here.

Thanks

Sean

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Just received this email, is this s scam?

Changes to your account

Hello,

We're changing some of our prices

Thanks for staying with BT. We're always looking for ways to give you more. That's why we're introducing things like the chance to double your
data, AMC, our brand new US drama and movie channel and our best ever online protection - all for free.

To keep bringing you our best products, we do have to change our prices sometimes. So, from 20 September 2015, line rental is going up by £1
per month. To find out more (and for details of other price changes including some broadband and TV prices) please click here. But don't forget,
there are still plenty of ways to get an even better deal.
0 Ratings