Message 1 of 5

Hello,

Just had a call from an Indian gentleman purporting to be from BT. He was forceful and said I wasn't getting the right speed from my router and tried to get me to go to BT speed checker via Google.

I smalt a rat and he hung up. Looking at the number he called from it was a non existent local number.

I have blocked it. Having just joined BT and upgraded to FTTP last week it was potentially plausible. He  knew my name.

Was this a coincidence or have these scammers hacked BT and me?

Anybody got any thoughts or info?

Many thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Scam

Go to solution

We had exactly the same thing. New hub installed recently, which the caller mentioned, so he initially seemed plausible. He rang early morning and I smelt a rat once he appeared not to know what the My BT app was, and he started getting impatient with me when I told him I couldn’t log into my laptop or phone. He then rang off!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @JC68 and @Johnmlowe and thanks for posting.

These calls are most definitely scams and you've done the right thing by hanging up on them. I've received a few of them myself and just hang up as soon as I hear 'there is a problem with your router' blah blah blah. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your advice.

May help others who are getting the same call.

John

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Just had exactly the same so they are still at it. Thanks for posting this. Seemed dodgy when they said my ping of 16 was slow, when it's blatantly not.... and in general the whole conversation was ringing alarm bells everywhere. 

0 Ratings