Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 1 of 122

Scams: Information about scams currently circulating

Hi Everyone,

I would like to bring you some information about various scams that are out there at the moment.  The current climate has not stopped scammers from trying to take advantage so in cases like this, knowledge is power and the more you know about the types of scams doing the rounds, the better prepared you will be in spotting these before its too late.

The information I get will be coming from the BT Security teams who are working on protecting our customers from scammers.  This will allow me to give you advice and possibly even examples of what scammers are up to.  Each time I have something to share I will create a thread here on Community, but to make it easy to access, I will update this thread with the links to those articles.

For more advice from BT in relation to scams, please read more from this link, Be aware of scams - What to look out for and how to spot a scam 

Read more about BT's One-time PIN process.  Scammers may try to exploit this process so we have provided some guidance which will help you keep safe.

Scams to be aware of

I will continue to update this thread when I receive more information to share.  If you have come across any scams that are not included above, please post here to warn other customers, but don't forget, report these to phishing@bt.com

Cheers 

Sean

0 Ratings
121 REPLIES 121
Message 2 of 122

Re: Scams: Information about scams currently circulating

Hi

I have received an email today from BTVM@BTVM.com telling me I have a voice mail.  When I click the link it takes me to my Office 365 login page and from there it says there is an error.  I have looked at the community postings to see if there is anything about this and the only thing I can find is an announcement stating Digital Voice stuff is being rolled out.  I only have a basic landline which I don't use so have no calls included in my halo package so am none the wiser if this is a genuine message or a scam.  Is anyone able to advise, please?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 122

I wouldn't have clicked a link in an email from an unknown source and, if by chance (very remote) I did, one that takes you to a login page should be deleted. 

You will find BTVM.com does not exist and may be cloaking the actual email address.

Message 4 of 122

Thanks. Luckily Office 365 blocked it, however, the address doesn’t show as anything other than what it is. Normally when you click on a scam email it shows a different address at the bottom left of the screen, not so with this address. 

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 5 of 122

@Nikki71 wrote:

Hi

I have received an email today from BTVM@BTVM.com telling me I have a voice mail.  When I click the link it takes me to my Office 365 login page and from there it says there is an error.  I have looked at the community postings to see if there is anything about this and the only thing I can find is an announcement stating Digital Voice stuff is being rolled out.  I only have a basic landline which I don't use so have no calls included in my halo package so am none the wiser if this is a genuine message or a scam.  Is anyone able to advise, please?

Hi @Nikki71,

Welcome back to the Community and thank you for sharing this information.  

I was speaking with our security team this morning and I highlighted your comments in relation to this particular scam.  They haven't come across it before but are very keen to look into this.  If you haven't already, would you mind forwarding on this dubious email to phishing@bt.com ?

We actively monitor and investigate anything sent to the above email address so it would be super helpful to see this particular example.

Cheers

Sean

Message 6 of 122

Of course. I shall forward it now. For information my partner received 3 of the same on the same day and he doesn’t have a BT account!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 122

I received a text from a withheld number claiming to be bt. Saying that my contract would be terminated if i did not login to fix my bill. The site that the text contained is https://bt-alerts.com/ . I have also sent an email to phishing@bt.com as well.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 122

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a text from a withheld number claiming to be bt. Saying that my contract would be terminated if i did not login to fix my bill. The site that the text contained . I have also sent an email to phishing@bt.com as well.

That is a scam, quite a few people have received that one.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 122

I have just had a phone call with an automated message advising that my router will be disconnected for 3 days due to suspicious activity and to press 1 to speak to the support desk. The message didn't mention BT and I didn't press 1. 

Is this a scam? I can't find any issue on my account online.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 122

Scam.

0 Ratings