cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 122

Re: Scams: Information about scams currently circulating

Thanks, sounded like a scam to me.  Mum did give her account number and sort code. Contacted bank and they’ve blocked any new direct debits & standing orders so no money lost.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 122

@Sooiemb33 that's a relief, it's very fortunate that no money was taken. I see you mentioned call blocking in your previous post, it would be worth considering our free Call protect service or perhaps getting a call blocking phone that screens the calls before your mum answers.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 122

My mother just received a call from someone saying something about "our privacy not being secure". She has quite a vulnerable/innocent personality and told them she was away next week and to talk to me.

She handed the phone to me and I heard a thick Indian accent with call centre noises in the background as described by others claiming to be from BT and claiming that we had "privacy issues" with our internet. Instantly felt this was an odd thing for BT to call about since I've never heard about providers sending mass phone calls about security issues. Sounds like the sort of thing that would be a huge deal and draw attention in the news before I would hear about it from a call centre.

His voice immediately sounded shifty after hearing my tone, and hung up after I asked him to tell me more about it. Haven't heard back so assuming it was a scam.
0 Ratings
Message 44 of 122

Just had this drop in my inbox (omitting the message body):

Agree to the new unified Terms of Service and Privacy ( Action Required)

**Edited** <**Edited**@btinternet.com>
To: @*Edited*@icloud.id; @**Edited**@icloud.id;
17/03/21 9:45 AM

Oddly, in one place it says:

"In order to continue to access your BT Mail account after March 20th-2021, you will need to confirm you accept the Terms of Service. "

... yet in another the date is the 17th. Oh, and none of the links work. Come on BT, get your act in gear !!
0 Ratings
Message 45 of 122

Hello,today I received a recorded call from Amazon demanding that I pay £399 for an Iphone whuih I had purchased and was invited to press 1 to arrange payment.This was of course complete nonsense and I put the phone down.The number was 07618924553.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 122

Had repeated calls from number showing as 02080445927 claiming to be openreach, and saying they've found packet drops on my internet connection and want to fix it. All I need to do is give them remote access to my computer. Needless to say, I didn't give them access. Going by the background noise, seemed like an overseas call centre.

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 122

I have just had same Open Reach calling on 01216899929 claiming problems with internet. My reply was NO PROBLEMS. Insisted they had reports of problems. That is when I put phone down.

Nowadays landline calls are rare and I never speak when I pick up phone which usually ends the call immediately. Must be a slack time if I got to the head of the queue with my quite tardy reaction to the telephone ringing.
0 Ratings
Message 48 of 122

Hi @alananne you did the correct thing by hanging up, Openreach would never call you like that.  You can help us fight the scammers by reporting the call this link: Report a Scam call

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 122

I have report at least 3 Emails in the past week, with similar messages, all purporting to come from BT. They usually start 'Hello BT user' or similar impersonal mode of address and sometimes have part of a fictitious account No. They usually have a link to follow if you don't want your Email Platform terminated in the next 2 or 3 days.
I generally forward them to phishing@ bt.com , then permanently delete them, this happens virtually every week, I must have reported over 100, but they still keep coming!
There are also less frequent land line calls, usually warning of ' suspicious/ criminal activity on my internet account' and of imminent disconnection if I don't press '1'. These are mostly recorded messages but occasionally live, with a recognisable accent. Hanging up and ignoring these calls has never resulted in any interruption to my account.
They must regard BT Customers as a 'soft touch'

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 122

I keep getting calls from a supposed Amazon Recorded voice saying that my Amazon Prime subscription was renewed and if I wanted to cancel it press 2.. and then I hang up... this is a SCAM call..

0 Ratings