Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT Cloud - Uploading folders from PC to BT Cloud

Havig trawaled through the Forum, could someone please confirm that it is NOT possible to simply copy folder(s) from my PC up to BT CLoud AND retain the original folder(s) structure in BT Cloud? I know I can duplicate folders manually in BT Cloud, and then copy files into those folders. But even with the desktop client, when I select a folder to upload BT CLoud only uploads the files in a single list, seemingly ignoring the fact it is in a folder.

I hope I am wrong ad that you can do it. If it can't then it really is a pretty useless facility for most users!

Michael.

Contributor

Re: BT Cloud - Uploading folders from PC to BT Cloud

So you've found out its pretty useless. And it is! absolute rubbish from a tinpot company called f-secure. Dont waste your time trying to persevere with it to use your so called free 50Gb storage. It will never work properly. Get a paid for professional service that actually looks after your data by encrypting it and keeping versions of your files for the day you need to do a restore. There are many on the market I ended up using Crashplan. Its cheaper if you use the US site to sign up rather than their reseller here in UK, there are many other good backup providers who BT should be in discussion with so that we BT customers get a useable service.

Beginner

The first version of BT Cloud worked very well for me and I have managed to back up my important folders on the Cloud.  Then, early this October, BT upgraded the product and now its absolutely useless - I can't back up my folders any more, only files which is hopeless as it's now impossible to find things.  Neither can I update anything that I backed up before.

I do not believe this new release is fit for purpose.   I have spoken at length with the BT Support People in INdia who have tried to help but, I have to say, have only made things worse and totally messed up my file structure for me.   What's more, I find it incredibly difficult to understand what they are saying to me!    

Maybe if somebody with knowledge in the UK could contact me maybe it can be sorted out but it's not going to be easy - without that I shall just stop using the product, as I suspect many others are doing and use something else - it also discredits the BT Infinity product offering.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Sigma1 wrote:

The first version of BT Cloud worked very well for me and I have managed to back up my important folders on the Cloud.  Then, early this October, BT upgraded the product and now its absolutely useless - I can't back up my folders any more, only files which is hopeless as it's now impossible to find things.  Neither can I update anything that I backed up before.

I do not believe this new release is fit for purpose.   I have spoken at length with the BT Support People in INdia who have tried to help but, I have to say, have only made things worse and totally messed up my file structure for me.   What's more, I find it incredibly difficult to understand what they are saying to me!    

Maybe if somebody with knowledge in the UK could contact me maybe it can be sorted out but it's not going to be easy - without that I shall just stop using the product, as I suspect many others are doing and use something else - it also discredits the BT Infinity product offering.

The new version of BT Cloud is difficult to use. It looked good at first, until you started delving in to it.

It's not a good idea to upload masses of data until you are sure. Don't delete anything on your pc or The Cloud that you have already backed up or loaded to Cloud at this stage.

What data you have already backed up to Cloud should be retrievable, and then the choice is yours whether you delete everything in the Cloud and start again. Don't touch anything in the settings options. If you can't retrieve any data then BT Cloud is of no use to you anyway.

If starting again take a very careful look at the instructions and just try uploading/backing up only a very small number of files, and explore all the options available.

There's another (similar) post on this topic. (19-10-13).

Guru

[ Edited ]

BT Cloud is a pretty rubbish bit of code, and I wouldn't use it to back up any serious data.

BUT ... in answer to the original question it is possible to copy structured folders from the desktop to the cloud.

They have made the interface very obscure in the new version.

On the desktop version, click on the cloud picture near the bottom left and "add folders to automatic 'backup'".

But beware, this isn't a backup but a one-way sync to the cloud, so deleted files/folders on your machine are deleted from the replica.  There is no history, just an unstructured Trash which loses the folder structure for deleted files/folders.

Not quite sure why the interface programmers (there can't have been any interface designers) chose to make 'add to backup' a cloud picture in the bottom left, and 'add to sync' a + sign in the top right.

Expert

[ Edited ]

To put it politely, it's promoted as online storage or backup, (two distinct methods) but whatever goes up to the cloud for backup must be kept in the BT Cloud Sync folders on the pc....... unless I have missed something?

I wouldn't like to put to the test in the event of a PC failure.....perhaps it may work?

On the other hand the online storage, as I see it, will not accept folders from your pc - just files.

At least that's what the instructions say.

Guru

The mechanism I mentioned above (click on the Cloud picture and Add Folders) will work for files and for folders.  These files or folders do not have to be in BT Cloud Sync folder.  They will be sent from the one computer/device where they live to the cloud.  They can be accessed on demand from other associated computers or from the web, but that will not happen automatically for the files/folders outside the Cloud Sync.

If they also had appropriate history that would be what I would want/expect from an automatic backup.  The problem is that the folder structure is lost once anything is deleted on the computer, and the files are lost completely once the cloud Trash is emptied.

Expert

sjtp wrote:

The mechanism I mentioned above (click on the Cloud picture and Add Folders) will work for files and for folders.  These files or folders do not have to be in BT Cloud Sync folder.  They will be sent from the one computer/device where they live to the cloud.  They can be accessed on demand from other associated computers or from the web, but that will not happen automatically for the files/folders outside the Cloud Sync.

If they also had appropriate history that would be what I would want/expect from an automatic backup.  The problem is that the folder structure is lost once anything is deleted on the computer, and the files are lost completely once the cloud Trash is emptied.

Thanks, that's the last piece of the jigsaw in place.

It's a pity there isn't just a button at the top - "add folders", or whatever.

Instruction books are there to be followed, but as always, they are the last thing to be updated, and not always by the designer, who has moved on to something else, and is too busy!

I had been accessing this from the "settings" menu under the people symbol. Don't thinlk it's there in the web application though.

Guru

Don't thinlk it's there in the web application though.  It wouldn't be appropriate in the web application.  Even though that may (or may not) be running on a machine that is running the cloud client, the web application is effectively running in a sandbox and is not allowed to know about other things going on in the machine.  A 'pure' web client can't know whether there is a cloud client, nor can it know about most files on the computer where it is running.

Two main things that are missing from the BT Cloud as I see it are:

1) History, as I have discussed above (and in other threads)

2) The ability to save files in the cloud that are not held on any machine.

It used to have (2) with the web upload, but as far as I can see Web upload has been replaced with BT Cloud Sync: both potentially useful but they complement each other rather than being alternatives.

~~~

I haven't checked out how well cloud sync manages conflicts, which is always the most difficult part of a sync system.  I'm not too hopeful.  The folder backup mechanism is effectively a one-way sync (machine->cloud) which theoretically cannot create conflicts.  Somehow the original Cloud software managed to invent impossible conflicts and then mishandle them.  This resulted is some people losing data both from the machine and the cloud.  Usually Word or Outlooks files; which were slightdly awkward to handle because of file locking.  I haven't seen any threads on that recently, maybe it is fixed.

Expert

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm not a (retired) software engineer, but have written, or modified many a software requirement specification in my time, in industry, all connected with steel wheels running on steel rails.

It's upsetting to reply to someone, knowing that they have difficulty in retrieving data supposedly stored safely in the Cloud.

As I see it, the ideal backup system allows the user to store data historically. The state of affairs at that date, that date, etc. There's going to be duplication of effort, but nothing is lost. Losing data in BT Cloud may have been the case in the past, but hopefully this may have been corrected.

Even Windows 7 backup cannot achieve this, unless you rename the backup file. If you delete information, then the backup only shows present state - after deletion, but at least the user does not lose everything.