Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT Fon / Openzone speeds

Been trying to use BT Fon within my own home to download game patches etc so I don't burn up my little allowance, first time I tried it I could have sworn I was getting speeds of around 700kps, but everytime since its been around 50kps - which on a 1gb patch is gonna take all day, also it seems to have a hait of disconnecting at times.. Now I am not sure if the first time I connected I simply connected to my own network and not the Fon account hence the faster speeds. Is 50kps about right for maximum on the Fon network - dude in BT Sales told me it would be just as quick as my normal accounts speed (getting a feeling I was lied to ......)

Anyone able to shed some light on this / is there any way to increase the speed (e.g prioritise the Fon over my own network when I am not using my broadband for anything else etc?)

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT Fon / Openzone speeds

50kbps is about right as BTFON is a 512 connection.  it is not meant for downloading large files more just to give you an internet connection on the move to enable you to browse and pick up emails

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru

To add...

You'll probably find that by default, the Fon connection will auto disconnect after 2 hours. This IS to prevent heavy downloads being carried out.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner

Ah, have noticed it disconnecting but wasn't sure of the timescales - thought I read somewhere it was 15 minutes of idle... proper been stiffed by BT sales then it seems :smileysad:

Distinguished Guru

AFAIK, you're right with the 15min idle disconnection.

I had to go to the top to get certain answers regarding Fon/Oz...

Beginner

So if downloading something I have 2 hours to complete it or it disconnects no matter what? Is there any way aorund this as 1gb won't be done in 2 hours - don't mind leaving pc on overnight to complete if there is a workaround? Also does it see downloading as not being idle so 2 hours instead of 15 minutes? I really should time it and figure it out myself I suppose !!

Distinguished Guru

[ Edited ]

evz1974 wrote:

So if downloading something I have 2 hours to complete it or it disconnects no matter what?

I'd say so...

Is there any way aorund this as 1gb won't be done in 2 hours - don't mind leaving pc on overnight to complete if there is a workaround?

I'm not sure if a workround exists - others may have one

Also does it see downloading as not being idle so 2 hours instead of 15 minutes?

It should last 2 hours when downloading

I really should time it and figure it out myself I suppose !!

There's only one way to find out....

Also worth noting, the speed will only be a maximum of 512Kbps, but any devices connected through your hub will take priority. You may find that the fon speed is slowly reduced to 0Kbps.

There is some further info here - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/Why-does-the-BTHH-transmit-the-Openzone-signal/m-p/37318#M22...

Beginner

Thanks for all the advice, genuinely appreciated dude !

Distinguished Guru

No problembo:smileywink:

Let us know how it goes...